5 Gardening Dairy: Happy gardening and happy snapping ..

Status
Not open for further replies.

alp

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United Kingdom
Wow! Work of the Week BADGE for @Upsy Daisy and Mr Upsy!

I just hope your dad appreciates all the efforts your lovebirds put in! Sounds like you have put in a lot of hard work. That's why I am very wary of employing people. They always cut corners and there is never a contract which has been properly drawn up. That's why this old woman had a threshold of 3 to 4 inches tall installed in her bi-fold. As soon as she paid the money, nobody has been willing to do anything. She has got tripped over several times walking from kitchen to the living room. She was then told to write to the manufacturers, the warranty company and of course, nothing has been has been done but she has been totally worn down. Just how do you tell a gardener what to do and expect good value for money. Shame @Perki doesn't live near!

Yes, Dahlias are flowering their socks off, @Perki ! If I were you, I would definitely pour a foot of mulch on top of salvia amistad and put some shingles round the stem when they come up next year. My salvia amistad along the sunny border totally disappeared and I watered and watered. Every time new shoots were trying to come up, they were gobbled up by slugs and in the end, I put wood ash around it. Finally, they came up and were big and bushy until a storm came along and whacked the central stem off, which folded like a real brolly on the lawn. I took tons of cuttings and they are all in flowers. Black and Blue literally died. I bought a new one for £2.50 and have taken cuttings.

Next year, I should have Peter Vidigeon, Strawberry Royale, Nel, and some others. Can't wait to move.

Love your area, @Perki ! But not the weather! Constant rain and windy days will depress me no end and I don't like to moan (I have a lot to moan about already!:eek::LOL:), I like to break free. Watched CountryFile and saw Liz Earle living the organic life - keeping animals in 300 acres of land in Yorkshire! Incidentally, have you come across a Salvia Jeans Jewels please? It never flowers and I'm fed up waiting!:banghead::banghead:

Have to say, the one-hour GW has been consistently good. Shame you have to pay to go into some of those gardeners. The one with a pathway flanked by big olive trees in terracotta pots was exquisitely masculine, understated and yet distinctive. Now, what am I talking about? Exquisitely masculine?? LOL!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
Afternoon all.

Thanks @alp :) but I think we all work equally hard in our gardens, being on this forum is enough proof of that(y)

No @Perki I won't use weed killers as the worst of it is around his ponds and he definitely won't allow it. What we did with ours many years ago) was to weed it out as much as possible and then covered the area with plastic sheeting for a year....work a treat , no sign of it somewhere now (y). But I can't wait a year as I plan to give him a colourful garden next summer.....god willing, but at 93 ,time is not on our side:(

I will just have to pull it out as I see it emerging:)(y)....that's my plan!! :LOL::ROFLMAO:
I told my Dad to just say to the gardeners that his family were going to keep it tidy over winter for him and that he would contact them next year!!! Whimps way out :LOL::ROFLMAO:

Well everything looks OK after their first cold night of the season.(y)It's cold and grey out there today, so have done housework and went grocery shopping....tomorrow is set to be a little warmer so will attend to the gardening jobs then.:)

Have a lovely day :D

alp

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United Kingdom
It's wintry here! 6c outside earlier. Now is probably even lower. So I snapped some photos before they all turn black tomorrow:eek::LOL:. Just in case!
SAM_0386.JPG

Turned the lawn mower to the lowest setting this morning and some newly grown grass got mown! Hope nobody calls me stupid or silly! I just don't want to mow it again if at all possible!

3 clumps of asters
SAM_0410.JPG
SAM_0411.JPG
SAM_0412.JPG

SAM_0413.JPG

Art Nouveau family

SAM_0414.JPG

First two mixed flowers of this year. Opened yesterday officially!
SAM_0415.JPG
SAM_0416.JPG

SAM_0417.JPG

Cacti dahlia family
SAM_0418.JPG

Red and white family. Not a clue what it is called. I haven't seen my Edge of Joy or Tartan.. But this one doesn't resemble any of the two! Clueless!
SAM_0420.JPG

Rajman Firecracker! My favorite this year! Loooooooove it!

SAM_0421.JPG

Kelvin Floodlight Dinnerplate!
SAM_0422.JPG

This is an interesting one, with redder and darker edges framing the petals!

SAM_0423.JPG

Mixed darker red and white family!

Polka family
SAM_0424.JPG
SAM_0425.JPG
SAM_0428.JPG
SAM_0429.JPG
SAM_0426.JPG
SAM_0427.JPG

Yellow poppy!

Attachments

• SAM_0419.JPG
    SAM_0419.JPG
    211.6 KB · Views: 184

alp

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United Kingdom
Rose a standard!
SAM_0359.JPG
SAM_0360.JPG

SAM_0361.JPG

My border

Salmon Dance!
SAM_0362.JPG

SAM_0363.JPG

Salvia Hotlips and Night Moth
SAM_0364.JPG

Easter Star
SAM_0365.JPG

Boogie Woogie family
SAM_0367.JPG
SAM_0368.JPG
SAM_0371.JPG
SAM_0372.JPG

SAM_0373.JPG
SAM_0374.JPG
SAM_0376.JPG
Gaura family

Big Pink family
SAM_0377.JPG

Another big pink family
SAM_0378.JPG

Pasa Doblé family!

Dahlia 'Tsuki-yori-no-shisha'
fimbriata dahlia - a family of 2 flowers
SAM_0389.JPG

Blue Bayou family
SAM_0390.JPG

Crazy Love family
SAM_0391.JPG

White cacti family
SAM_0395.JPG

Petunia Surfinia family!
SAM_0396.JPG

Hope they still look pristine tomorrow!

Last edited:
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
Your garden looks fab @alp :) So much colour !! I have just discovered some red poppies too (y)

Reactions: alp

alp

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United Kingdom
Your garden looks fab @alp :) So much colour !! I have just discovered some red poppies too (y)

Thank you. I still have a lot to do. 1/4 of the hellebores have been dug up.

alp

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United Kingdom
upload_2018-10-28_6-4-10.png

Good morning to a bittery cold wintry day - the lean to with the candle on the whole night registered 9c. Can't imagine what my plants have been through the night. I have put fleece on some plants and a dome on my beloved Inticancha Alstroemeria. Very nasty cold. Sweet surprise is that it is predicting rain although I can't see any. 3c outside. Oh dear! Really is serious.

Imagine the shock sustained by plants from 20c to 3c!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
Morning all.

Definitely a cold old day today, I thought it was going to be a bit warmer than this:( We are down to 0C again tonight:eek:, feel very sorry for all my plants in the cold frames and greenhouse too @alp this time last week they were overheating in them!! Madness....on Fri we have overnight temps of 10C.....poor plants:cry::(

Oh well better get wrapped up warm before heading outside.....think I have a sore throat developing too....grrrrr:mad: winter!!!!!

Have a good day ,keep warm:D(y)

alp

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United Kingdom
Good morning, @Upsy Daisy ! Yes, it's so cold AND it's raining! Thank heavens as my hellebore patches need a lot of water to loosen the sol up and this will help. I used several pots and burnt a candle inside - a thick 5 inch tall one. It was useless as the outer pot was too big and very little heat has been generated. The outermost pot was cold to touch. AND there was a patch of wax on the floor. The whole candle is nearly finished. Now I have removed the outer biggest pot, the inner pot was warm to touch. Just lovely.

Same here regarding mini tom greenhouse. Last week when we had 19c, they were sweating and now they are freezing. I did put a fleece over most of the tom greenhouses.

Had to get up 5.30 to catch the E7. Mop the kitchen and toilet. and son hoovered most of the rooms. I am a bit worried as I didn't know I signed up to using Countr**** conveyancing and the bit about the commission is not included in the Vendor Pack. Fired 10 emails to the estate agents and was hot and bothered last night. He did say I could get my money back if I withdrew within 14 days. I should have used a calculator to work out the commission rather than agreeing to a flat rate. Also, I should not have signed on the laptop, but insisted on using paper document.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
Raining here now too.
Best to recheck all the details now before it's too late @alp , better to be safe than sorry (y)

Yes I have fleeced up everything too ( that reminds me I must go out to remove it all ).

I've been time wasting this morning..... our youngest left this morning for his holiday in New York and I am following his flight.....so addictive!!!:LOL::ROFLMAO: Love FlightRadar...often use it to see who is flying over us!!
I will keep looking in to check on our son's progress....still has about 6hrs to go. I 'watched' him take off and will 'watch' him land later....then I can relax a tad!! He is so looking forward to this trip, he does travel/ street photography and has been around the world , but this is a dream trip for him....so many things to photograph! :D

alp

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United Kingdom
Awwwww! Our children never grow up, do they? Yes, FlightRadar is exciting. The builder of the sunlounge showed us who was flying over us. And that's why Prince William's safety could be compromised. Not that he is a superior being, but anyone could do something nasty if they wanted to.

Logged in to find how to make the toilet bowl clean and white. Mine is clean, but never white and bleach does not help. Do you know how please? The sky has turned blue and I was cleaning all the windows. As we live next to a busy road, the dust and condensation from the west setting sun and cold night is serious. I just don't know how to whiten the window corners and wonder if there are tricks. Off to google now! Happy tracking! My sister told me that she was really scared when her son's flight took off amid thunder and lightning. So much to worry about when you have children. But I won't give it for anything else.

Ah, easy! White vinegar!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
I just use Harpic but apparently Coke Cola works well too, haven't tried it myself. Is it limesca!e?
Window corners are more tricky ,we have wooden framed double glazing so clean/ treat and paint over. I wish we had PVU ( or whatever it's called) but hubs and builder friend said no, best to keep it matching our neighbours!! When they died and it was renovated......they put in PVU!!!!!:mad:

Son is approaching Canada....hello @johnny canoe !!!:LOL::ROFLMAO:

alp

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United Kingdom
I just use Harpic but apparently Coke Cola works well too, haven't tried it myself. Is it limesca!e?
Window corners are more tricky ,we have wooden framed double glazing so clean/ treat and paint over. I wish we had PVU ( or whatever it's called) but hubs and builder friend said no, best to keep it matching our neighbours!! When they died and it was renovated......they put in PVU!!!!!:mad:

Son is approaching Canada....hello @johnny canoe !!!:LOL::ROFLMAO:

Oh, hello, stranger that is @johnny canoe ! Mac wouldn't complete the user name for me. How annoying!

Yes, Arm and Hammer needs to be order. How useful is the stuff! Arm and Hammer baking soda and vinegar again. Just like unblocking our drain. In the end, son bought a drain snake and it has worked a bit. I wouldn't put the baking soda and vinegar away though as I can use it to clean window corners.

alp

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United Kingdom
Went out 1pm and came in 4.45pm. Reckon I will sleep very well tonight. I am fed up with the sight of hellebores. They were massive and nearly impossible to dig up. Apparently, there will be lots of rain on Tuesday for me, too.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ask a Question