At 64 new to gardening.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
When I say gardening I mean a largish planter which came with my new shed.
Height: 40cm Size:
Depth: 42cm Brand:
Length: 90cm

What I am looking for is colour, variety, can be bought online as I cannot get to a garden centre and easy maintenance. I will obviously need to fill it with soil would Canna 50L Terra Professional Soil Mix Bag or two be enough, spotted on Amazon be OK?

I know absolutely zilch of gardening.

Ad

Advertisements

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
Welcome to the forum :)

would Canna 50L Terra Professional Soil Mix Bag or two be enough, spotted on Amazon be OK?
Your volume is 40 x 42 x 90 = 151,200 cubic cm, which is equal to 151.2 litres. So you'll need three 50l bags :)

alp

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United Kingdom
Welcome to the forum, @MrFraggle !

You could google Canna AGM to find out the best performing varieties. Note their heights and flowering time. Have some variegated ones and have a look at the canna thread here please. You probably could do with some companion planting.

Ad

Advertisements

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Welcome to the forum, @MrFraggle !

You could google Canna AGM to find out the best performing varieties. Note their heights and flowering time. Have some variegated ones and have a look at the canna thread here please. You probably could do with some companion planting.
I think I mentioned that I knew zilch on gardening so unfortunately using terms like 'variegated' or companion planting is pretty meaningless. And where would I find the Canna thread? And Googling Canna AGM is very confusing as I have no idea what I should be looking at?

I think I spotted a selection of twenty plants on Amazon which I think I will get and hope for the best.

Ad

Advertisements

alp

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United Kingdom
If you could provide the names, we can put all our heads together for you.

Cultivar selection

Garden hybrids
Canna 'Striata' AGM: Golden-striped green leaves and orange flowers. Height 1.9m (6ft)
C. ‘Phasion’: Striped leaves, orange flowers. Height 1.6m (5½ft)
C. ‘Picasso’ AGM: Green or blue-ish leaves, yellow flowers spotted with red. Height 1.5m (5ft)
C. ‘Wyoming’: Bronze leaves, orange flowers. Height: 2.3m (8ft)

You copy and paste Canna Striata and find a decent nursery to supply you with the plant if you like the look of it.

Ask a Question