At 64 new to gardening.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
When I say gardening I mean a largish planter which came with my new shed.
Height: 40cm Size:
Depth: 42cm Brand:
Length: 90cm

What I am looking for is colour, variety, can be bought online as I cannot get to a garden centre and easy maintenance. I will obviously need to fill it with soil would Canna 50L Terra Professional Soil Mix Bag or two be enough, spotted on Amazon be OK?

I know absolutely zilch of gardening.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
Welcome to the forum :)

would Canna 50L Terra Professional Soil Mix Bag or two be enough, spotted on Amazon be OK?

Your volume is 40 x 42 x 90 = 151,200 cubic cm, which is equal to 151.2 litres. So you'll need three 50l bags :)

alp

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United Kingdom
Welcome to the forum, @MrFraggle !

You could google Canna AGM to find out the best performing varieties. Note their heights and flowering time. Have some variegated ones and have a look at the canna thread here please. You probably could do with some companion planting.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Welcome to the forum, @MrFraggle !

You could google Canna AGM to find out the best performing varieties. Note their heights and flowering time. Have some variegated ones and have a look at the canna thread here please. You probably could do with some companion planting.

I think I mentioned that I knew zilch on gardening so unfortunately using terms like 'variegated' or companion planting is pretty meaningless. And where would I find the Canna thread? And Googling Canna AGM is very confusing as I have no idea what I should be looking at?

I think I spotted a selection of twenty plants on Amazon which I think I will get and hope for the best.

alp

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United Kingdom
If you could provide the names, we can put all our heads together for you.

Cultivar selection

Garden hybrids
Canna 'Striata' AGM: Golden-striped green leaves and orange flowers. Height 1.9m (6ft)
C. ‘Phasion’: Striped leaves, orange flowers. Height 1.6m (5½ft)
C. ‘Picasso’ AGM: Green or blue-ish leaves, yellow flowers spotted with red. Height 1.5m (5ft)
C. ‘Wyoming’: Bronze leaves, orange flowers. Height: 2.3m (8ft)

You copy and paste Canna Striata and find a decent nursery to supply you with the plant if you like the look of it.

Ask a Question