2: Our gardening diaries - from latest toys, flowers to wildlife .. Please upload pics

alp

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United Kingdom
You've a great husband! Any man interested in cooking is a good catch! Hahaha! I was worried that all the men in the house will leave everything to you ..

We have a layer of hardened snow, like a bluish sheet and that's all. I can wait for the sun to come out to go and work the garden. Son is coming home today .. and we will have a lunch out when the weather has calmed down. Really looking forward to it.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
Have you lot taken any desperate measures to warm up your plants in the winter?

I really hate winter as I always lose plants during winter. Too wet, too cold.. My lean-to is moudy again.

I haven't dared to look in my greenhouse or coldframe.....neither have heat and are stuffed full with over wintering plants , cuttings and seedlings:eek::eek:

alp

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United Kingdom
I haven't dared to look in my greenhouse or coldframe.....neither have heat and are stuffed full with over wintering plants , cuttings and seedlings:eek::eek:

I keep saying to myself: If plants were animals, I would be PROSECUTED for neglect, cruelty or abuse or even thrown into jail!:eek::eek::eek:

Logan

Logan
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
1a
Country
United Kingdom
Have you lot taken any desperate measures to warm up your plants in the winter?

I really hate winter as I always lose plants during winter. Too wet, too cold.. My lean-to is moudy again.
I overwinter the geraniums and fucshias in my small lean-to greenhouse. I put bubble wrap on the sliding doors, also put fleece over the plants. I don't heat it and they're alright. The only problem is keeping them watered enough.

alp

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United Kingdom
@Upsy Daisy Thank you for reminding me of my major disaster in life! But do rejoice and enjoy your marital bliss.. You look around, most people are divorced .. apart from Logan that is... hehehe!

Logan: I think you're doing the right thing and I don't think you need to worry about watering as most plants shut shops and watering will probably kill them. I also drape a filmy warm packaging sheet over my plants in the lean to. When we got the big boxes for lining the floor in the lean to, I told the staff member that I didn't want the innards (those whitish sheets), she pointed out that they were ideal for lining the floor before putting down the cardboard. Thank heavens for her advice. They are very useful and very warm, letting in light at the same time albeit a bit hazy.

Logan

Logan
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
1a
Country
United Kingdom
@alp thanks that's alright then.you mean the polystyrene board type of thingy's. I've got a lot of those from when we bought the natural diet for Berry. It was prepacked frozen food. Got a lot of those put in the lean to, on the floor and up the sides.

alp

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United Kingdom
More like the thin sheet. I really like them as they are think and pliable and yet can let light through a bit. The sheets we used for making good the ceiling had all been torn by rose thorns and ended up in the bin. Yesterday, I had 3 black bags and 2 plastic recyclable. A first for me!

Logan

Logan
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
1a
Country
United Kingdom
Oh i see. I've got the thick ones. Hubby not going out today,so he didn't get the car out the garage. Managed to squeeze past to get outside to feed the birds and put some hot water in their water bowl, it's all frozen up.

alp

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United Kingdom
Hope he drives safely. There's a lot of black ice on the road, as @Upsy Daisy pointed out.. Can't be too careful!

alp

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United Kingdom
Hahaha! What's wrong with me! Must be the cold! Well, I have to blame something! Hahaha! Did half an hour exercise on the bike and now I am going out and let the cold air freshen my brain so that I don't miss out the word NOT! Sooooo embarrassing!

Logan

Logan
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
1a
Country
United Kingdom
It's ok,we get like that sometimes. Haven't got much to do at the moment, until the weather picks up. Been watching the birds and the squirrel feeding. I don't think that it's the same squirrel because he doesn't go up to the nuts as usual,he goes on the floor where the seed is. Hubby says perhaps he fancied a change.:LOL::LOL:

alp

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United Kingdom
Removed most of the leaves and now I am worried that it might be too cold tonight. Should have waited.

Ask a Question