Why is Miracle Grow junk?

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Country
United Kingdom
This post has degraded into an organic verses (what most of us are struggling with), no access to natural products . I will continue to use what I can as natural as I can find , but the truth is I will continue to use the non-organics as I have to use them. I thank all who have added input and I believe I am better for it.
The trick, if you are going down that road, is to use non-organics which are compatible with the organics, or you are wasting your time, effort & money with the organics. These are few & far between, but the trick is definitely to keep the NPK numbers down with the synthetics.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United States
This post has degraded into an organic verses (what most of us are struggling with), no access to natural products . I will continue to use what I can as natural as I can find , but the truth is I will continue to use the non-organics as I have to use them. I thank all who have added input and I believe I am better for it.
My last go with composted cow manure turned fiasco because of field herbicides in it. I note it has not been on the shelf for 2 seasons now, so it must have caused a big problem. It certainly takes time to compost it for sale. Yes sourcing is a big issue, even if you have a little land from which to recycle materials.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
It does have its uses, a friend who is into hydroponics says it is the best soluble fertilizer she has found.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I wonder? Has there been any studies done about insect damage of chemicals vs organic? My evidence is only anecdotal but I RARELY EVER have any kind of insect attacks. The only thing I ever have are caterpillars while my gardening friends here have to spray numerous times per season for everything from beetles to stink bugs. Could it be because I am organic? I wonder?
When I first started my own little nursery, I asked the man from cropwatch to come and inspect my land - there were some plants showing insect damage.
After his inspection, he told me not to take ANY action at all. He advised that because the place was so full of insects, and no poison had ever been used there (at least for many years) everything was taking care of itself. He showed me the insects that were feeding on the ones which were causing damage. The plants recovered.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Country
United Kingdom
Amazon.com : Bocking 14 Root Cutting (25) : Garden & Outdoor

Amazon.com : seaweed extract fertilizer for plants

Amazon.com : fish blood & bone fertilizer for plants

Each took seconds to find.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Country
United Kingdom
It may have missed your attention, but just because we can easily find these products in the UK @headfullofbees it does NOT follow that our friends over the pond in America can get hold of them so easily.
As for @Mike Allen `s post - he was simply being friendly.
That's Amazon USA not Amazon UK, if you look on the top right of the logo, you will see "Old Glory".
I meant absolutely no unfriendliness to Mike Allen; merely pointing out that doing what one likes in one's garden is, of course, everyone's right, & I'm pretty sure he would agree with what I see as a fair limitation on that.
In any case, I meant absolutely no offence to Mike Allen, & would hope he hasn't taken any.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
:love: Oh good - it`s so very easy to read things wrongly sometimes. I didn`t realise that was Amazon USA - in that case, I hope that @Chuck has noticed, as he felt these were not available there. Blood, fish & bone is certainly worth having !!
I have noticed quite often that our American members often seem to be on a completely different page to us - it`s difficult to work out what`s what sometimes...... not only that they do seem to speak a different kind of English -they have faucets, diapers and trash :ROFLMAO:
Oh yes, and they grow different plants too.
1617976223403.png

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
:love: Oh good - it`s so very easy to read things wrongly sometimes. I didn`t realise that was Amazon USA - in that case, I hope that @Chuck has noticed, as he felt these were not available there. Blood, fish & bone is certainly worth having !!
I have noticed quite often that our American members often seem to be on a completely different page to us - it`s difficult to work out what`s what sometimes...... not only that they do seem to speak a different kind of English -they have faucets, diapers and trash :ROFLMAO:
Oh yes, and they grow different plants too.
View attachment 78120
I noticed it. However, the facts remain the same. I can get blood meal, I can get fish emulsion and I can get bone meal, but, I can't get all three in one package. I wish I could get Hoof and Horn but for some unfathomable reason no one makes it here. I have no idea what they do with all of the hundreds of thousands of hooves and horns that are available each month. Maybe this is where yours comes from.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Country
United Kingdom
Texas and can't get cattle products?
The only thing you can do, Chuck, is buy your own steer, & what you don't eat, put in the garden!

Hmmnnnn...Chuck steaks.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I wonder if it might be worth importing some of this stuff @Chuck. If there are so many products in short (or no) supply there it could be the start of a lucrative business.

Ask a Question