Miracle Gro as Fertilizer

Reaction score
Country
United States
Sorry for the multiple posts, but I had another question about Miracle Gro as a fertilizing agent. I've read that plants can become dependent on Miracle Gro and thus will die if you ever stop using it. Is this true?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
No. :D Don't believe everything you read.

Years ago I used Miracle Gro regularly on all my house plants. When I stopped using it in favor of fertilizers that weren't so full of synthetic chemicals, they didn't die.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Sorry for the multiple posts, but I had another question about Miracle Gro as a fertilizing agent. I've read that plants can become dependent on Miracle Gro and thus will die if you ever stop using it. Is this true?
No, I don't think that is true. But what does happen is that after long term constant use the soil will have built up such a high level of salts that the plant can no longer uptake nutrients. This not only applies to Miracle Gro but to all chemical fertilizers

Reaction score
Country
United States
No, I don't think that is true. But what does happen is that after long term constant use the soil will have built up such a high level of salts that the plant can no longer uptake nutrients. This not only applies to Miracle Gro but to all chemical fertilizers

So should I go organic... Bat guano or worm castings perhaps?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
So should I go organic... Bat guano or worm castings perhaps?
All of the above but go light on the bat guano. There are all kinds of organic fertilizers out there in pelleted form. Disregard the numbers as they don't tell the whole story. Organic fertilizers not only feed the plants but more importantly they also feed the soil and they stay in the soil. There are specialized fertilizers such as bloodmeal and as you mentioned bat guano but these products are rather expensive and mainly used for a specific purpose. I don't know where you live but commercial organic fertilizers are becoming more and more available as folks are realizing how effective they are. They are safe to use and if you screw up an use too much it doesn't matter a whit, unlike chemical fertilizers which can and will kill your plants if applied incorrectly. By going organic and learning about such things as aerated compost tea and composting you will be amazed at what you can grow in a small area..........or large for that matter.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
I find Miracle gro a waste of money, if you use it in your yard it will wash away the next time you water, in your pots salt will build up and after a while your plants won't do well, there are many organic fertilizers you can use, they might cost a little more but in the long run you will be better off.

Reaction score
Country
Kenya
I don't suppose the plants will did if you stop using Miracle Gro or any other fertilizer for that matter will impinge negatively on the plants. This is due to the fact plants have an optimum uptake of nutrients and any excesses would not impact on the growth of the plants. These would only be a setback if there is below par supply with respect to the same. The cesst fertilizers are the ones which release nutrients slowly to the soil.

Reaction score
Country
Malta
So its bad to give this product? Photo attached
1617480047993-1808665756.jpg
16174800996812079734337.jpg

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
Look at the storage notes:

Harmful to aquatic life with long lasting effects

Dispose of contents & container in accordance with all local/national regulations.

This stuff gets into the water supply during heavy rains and contributes to red tides and other ecological problems.

Here in Florida we're always having water quality issues from fertilizers used on lawns and farm lands. And we've been having issues from old fertilizer plants, like what's happening now. The below story is from yesterday.

Excerpt:

Evacuations expand as Manatee phosphate plant collapse ‘imminent’

PALMETTO — Gov. Ron DeSantis declared a state of emergency in Manatee County on Saturday as officials fear an “imminent” collapse at the old Piney Point phosphate plant could release a rush of polluted water into the surrounding area — and then into Tampa Bay itself.

The situation grew more dire as crews attempted to shore up a breach in a wall around a 480-million gallon wastewater reservoir that has been leaking for days. They used front-end loaders, excavators and dump trucks to pile dirt over the breach.

But at 10:30 a.m. Saturday the on-site engineers “deemed the situation to be escalating,” said Manatee County Public Safety Director Jacob Saur. One containment wall shifted to the side, he said, signaling a structural collapse could happen at any time.

An “immense amount of water” could rush out in a sheet within seconds or minutes if berms at the site crack wide open, said acting county administrator Scott Hopes.

DrMike27

Trust me...I’m a doctor.
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United States
All of the above but go light on the bat guano. There are all kinds of organic fertilizers out there in pelleted form. Disregard the numbers as they don't tell the whole story. Organic fertilizers not only feed the plants but more importantly they also feed the soil and they stay in the soil. There are specialized fertilizers such as bloodmeal and as you mentioned bat guano but these products are rather expensive and mainly used for a specific purpose.
I don’t know if it’s just me or the high nitrogen count, but everywhere I used bloodmeal last year got absolutely taken over by aphids, then fire ants (understandably), then stink bugs. Mix all that together with a 1-2 year old and 100+degree (F) weather every day and I was ready to quit gardening all together.
Although we haven’t touched 100 yet this year, I haven’t had a single aphid sighting and the only fertilizer I have used is an organic citrus that was lower on nitrogen. I haven’t even sprayed neem oil at all (although I have used some Meyers soap to spray all my plants).
coincidence, or is the nitrogen really the problem?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
I don’t know if it’s just me or the high nitrogen count, but everywhere I used bloodmeal last year got absolutely taken over by aphids, then fire ants (understandably), then stink bugs. Mix all that together with a 1-2 year old and 100+degree (F) weather every day and I was ready to quit gardening all together.
Although we haven’t touched 100 yet this year, I haven’t had a single aphid sighting and the only fertilizer I have used is an organic citrus that was lower on nitrogen. I haven’t even sprayed neem oil at all (although I have used some Meyers soap to spray all my plants).
coincidence, or is the nitrogen really the problem?
I just watched this video a couple weeks ago and it's probably the reason you got aphids.

Ask a Question