What's your latest garden buy/ bargain.....share please.

Colin

Retired.
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

Thanks Logan. I'm preventing our Cleavers from seeding by vigorous determination; I've just come out of the garden where I've been Cleaver hunting again ripping them out by hand and also hoeing; the things are even pushing through mulch.

Kind regards, Colin.

alp

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United Kingdom
Colin That's why a lot of stuff is chucked because of bad quality. Bought a spray bottle which fell to the floor and promptly broke the neck. 89p! Now, I am using one which came with some detergent. No more buying of spray bottle from me. I would rather advertise for hand me downs.. They are usually better in quality.

Colin

Retired.
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

Thanks alp and I fully agree with you (y); these days means built down to a price not up to a decent quality. Bron and I buy cheap spray bottles from Poundland; I think the last we bought were a pack of two for a pound; we use one of them for window cleaning. I don't know who is to blame most for poor quality; the manufacturer trying to make a profit or the customer wanting something for nothing? I'd much rather pay more for an item that can be relied upon rather than buy cheap for the item to quickly fail. I like the old cast iron machinery and over the years have bought quite a few of these subjecting them to full refurbishment but many modern machines are "tinny" and likely to fail just out of warranty. I paid a fiver for the spray kit this morning but I might be able to use it after a bit of lathe work?

Kind regards, Colin.

alp

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United Kingdom
I would say we bargain hunters force the manufacturers to quote a nasty price to the Chinese who in fact have wised up and given us lower quality stuff. I had a Swan cassette recorder made in Hong Kong donkey years ago and it was brilliant. I bought a ricecooker from Asda. £9 or £10. After two round, the non-stick layer has come off. The one I bought from Lidl was good and still as good as gold if I had not abused it and put too much water which in turn damaged the innard mechanism. Sometimes, not all cheap stuff are bad, but I have lost my faith with Asda. Bought a scale and the digital readings keep changing their mind ... You can see why they have been bought up by Sainsburys!

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
10a
Country
Australia
rps20180510_042210.jpg
Twice a year we have a Hard Rubbish Collection whereby we put loads of stuff on our nature strip (there are limitations) and the council collects it. In the meantime everyone drives by and helps themselves to what takes their fancy. You know, one mans rubbish is anothers treasure. Well look at these beautiful pots put out this week by my neighbour. Four of them....I gave one to a friend. I wheeled up my wheel barrow and heaved them all in. A tad heavy I must say but where there's a will there's a way;). They each have little chips in the base but good for drainage I reckon (y). The young couple next door are modernising so these were obviously not in keeping with their new look. I'm very happy bout that:love:.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Keir Hardy
Country
United Kingdom
I decided I needed an incinerator, to dispose of some old bank statements and financial junk, that would take too long to shred. So I went into Wilkos to look for one.
They had a choice of two, a large one at £20 and a small one the size of a bucket for £12. I thought the large one a bit pricey and the small one too small.

Then shopping in Aldi for the week's supply of kitchen rolls, I spotted these. Same as the large one in Wilkos, but only £9.99. It's about 2ft 6ins tall by 20 inches in diameter. So quite a decent size.

P1010457.JPG

Colin

Retired.
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I bought 3 bare root Hostas from Home Bargains this morning then planted them; next I did more weeding. Two of my big plastic compost bins are sold and I've re-advertised the two remaining bins. I've also ordered more plants from J Parkers;

12 Rudbeckia Goldsturm.

50 Gladioli Large Flowering Mixed.

10 Double Begonias Mixed are free with the order.

The lot including P&P at £13.95; I've also got lots more plants due to arrive also from J Parkers. I'm just going mad planting lots of assorted plants filling in the reclaimed areas before weeds get a grip.

After a brew I'm heading into the workshop to play on the Graduate woodturning lathe.

Kind regards, Colin.

Logan

Logan
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
1a
Country
United Kingdom
Ordered 3 chilli plants in 10cm pots for £14.00 with p&p. The plants were £10.00 usually £4.99.
They might come next week. One that's very hot.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
FC39FED2-A857-4BBB-A0C6-7BB1A3FA64DC.jpeg
I got a Stella D’oro lilly for $1.75, half dead, from Walmart. It’s now in my pond with the bog iris. Letting it get settled in, I’ll see how it does, then get it moved. The rose I rescued from Lowe’s for $5, is blooming. Very pretty, but much smaller variety than I thought it would be. Of the pansy’s I got at the same time, some didn’t make it, I haven’t been able to water them enough, so I moved it to be sheltered from afternoon sun.

Colin

Retired.
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

Yesterday bought 3 potted Pachysandra ground cover from our local garden centre; £7 per pot but reduced to half price. Back home I took about 20 cuttings and put these in water in the shed then put the remainder of the plants into the garden. The plants will take OK still having stems but hopefully I'll end up with lots more free of charge?

I've ordered many plants online and some are due to arrive today so I'm going to be busy; the plants I'm buying are all on special offer with big savings; I don't have a plan I'm just buying anything to fill in the reclaimed soil; lots are ground cover though.

Kind regards, Colin.

Logan

Logan
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
1a
Country
United Kingdom
Just received 4 chilli plants, they're about 16inc from bottom of 9cm pots, which they were already in. The one that's bent will straighten up after a while. They were £14.99 free p&p
IMG_20180518_121518.jpg

Ask a Question