What's your latest garden buy/ bargain.....share please.

Colin

Retired.
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

Your plants look in excellent condition Logan. (y)

Two more boxes have just arrived from J Parkers; Rudbeckia; Anemone Japonica; Agapanthus; Lupins; Allium Millenium; Begonias and Cerastium (Snow in summer).

I'm in for a busy afternoon and hope I don't plant this lot upside down as I did with the 50 Gladioli. :)

More plants still to arrive at the month end but I'll most likely buy more in the meantime; filling our garden with plants is a good challenge but I'm winning; I plan to put the Begonias into individual pots then plant the pots allowing easy lifting shortly once winter kicks in because this mild weather is alien to Yorkshire and simply cannot last.

Kind regards, Colin.

Logan

Logan
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
1a
Country
United Kingdom
Had 3 chilli plants arrive, £10.00 with free p&p. Would have been £4.99
Golden Ghost
IMG_20180605_082122.jpg

MaryMary

Quite Contrary
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
I got a blue hydrangea :love: ...for the mere price of $1.00. :woot:

It's about a foot high, with about a dozen faded blooms. (What are the tiny flowers that make up the flower called? :unsure:) Some of them are a pale blue, but some seem pale green. I'm not sure what kind it is, but it's a blue hydrangea, for a dollar!! :joyful: :smuggrin:

It was sitting in the trash bin, with dead brown flowers, no pot and no label, but it looked healthy to me!! (y) I asked if it was being thrown away, and the guy said, "Tell ya what. I'll let ya have it for a dollar."

WOO HOO!!! :D

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
I got a blue hydrangea :love: ...for the mere price of $1.00. :woot:

It's about a foot high, with about a dozen faded blooms. (What are the tiny flowers that make up the flower called? :unsure:) Some of them are a pale blue, but some seem pale green. I'm not sure what kind it is, but it's a blue hydrangea, for a dollar!! :joyful: :smuggrin:

It was sitting in the trash bin, with dead brown flowers, no pot and no label, but it looked healthy to me!! (y) I asked if it was being thrown away, and the guy said, "Tell ya what. I'll let ya have it for a dollar."

WOO HOO!!! :D

Nice find! (y) Does it look like this?
https://plantaddicts.com/lacecap-hydrangeas/

MaryMary

Quite Contrary
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
@LIcenter, hard to tell, most of the flowers on it are crunchy. :ROFLMAO:

I'm going to take some better pictures, and probably start a separate thread for it, but here is a picture I took yesterday. :)

0616181948.jpg

The wind was blowing a little, so please forgive the blurring. :(

alp

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United Kingdom
That's lovely and truly a bargain. I never paid less than £2 for a hydrangea reduced. Good find!;)

Make sure you take cuttings. They root readily!

alp

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United Kingdom
I am not sure if these are bargains. One standard Olive for £5. Now half of the leaves are on the floor. And a pinkish penstemon.

SAM_0608.JPG
SAM_0609.JPG

alp

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United Kingdom
Wouldn't call this a bargain as it cost me £6. But they priced it £19.99 to start with
SAM_0008.JPG

A primula
SAM_0024.JPG

Love it as it is yellow!
Two irises one deep black and one Henerietta Holloway
50p zinnia and 50p sweet peas
SAM_0021.JPG

Attachments

• SAM_0023.JPG
    SAM_0023.JPG
    212 KB · Views: 180
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Keir Hardy
Country
United Kingdom
Wouldn't call this a bargain as it cost me £6. But they priced it £19.99 to start with
View attachment 39741

A primulaView attachment 39742
Love it as it is yellow!
Two irises one deep black and one Henerietta Holloway
50p zinnia and 50p sweet peas
View attachment 39745

It's always worth taking a chance, with reductions. "Time's a great healer" with some plants.

I've,mentioned before that many years ago my wife bought this azalea from a stall on Altrincham Market from the reduced too clear bin for 99p. It had a split stalk she repaired with Sellotape.

Over the years I've layered it many times. Two bits I moved to the back garden.

33.JPG

Theses two were in 9" pots reduced to clear in Wyevale because the buds had frost damage. But they recovered the following year. Although one has grown far larger than the other.

P1010635.JPG

13.JPG

alp

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United Kingdom
Your beloved wife must have the magic touch! I have to say, I never bothered about azaleas or rhodo until I got 2 for 99p. And the azalea has been performing very well. I moved it to the back and layered a branch, taking inspiration from you, @Sean Regan !

alp

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United Kingdom
These orchids have been reduced for nearly 4 weeks. Last week, it was £9.99, but this week it is £2.99 so I bought 3

SAM_1082.JPG

The original price is £21.99. I think Brian from The Beechgrove planted these next to a stream in Scotland. These will go to my ex for keeping as he has a totally shady garden!

Attachments

• SAM_1083.JPG
    SAM_1083.JPG
    92.1 KB · Views: 194

Logan

Logan
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
1a
Country
United Kingdom
Ordered 2 packs of tulip bulbs with 10 in each for £6.95 each. Called Ad Rem. Sort of red edged with orange. Come next month sometime

Ask a Question