What's your latest garden buy/ bargain.....share please.

alp

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United Kingdom
Got an apple tree called Lord Lambourne for under £9 from Bunnings ie. Homebase's Australian parent company's name. £14 for 2 areca palm, 2 boston fern, one orchid, one peace lily. £2 for a pink phoenix penstemon. £2.85 for a hydrangea limelight, £1.75 for a spirea - my first spirea. Suffice to say, burned a big hole in my pocket.

alp

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United Kingdom
Yes, literally going round and round, using the money from selling that table we talked about. Two ladies came and collected them. They didn't even look or examine it. So pleased were they with it. I wish I had asked for more. Could have bought more trees, plants, penstemons, seeds, nomocharis seeds..

What's your day like? Such a glorious day. Sun is shining now! Whopee! Can I say it three times? Whopee! Whopee! LOL!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Some good plants there alp....esp Limelight. Love it here in the summer :)

alp

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United Kingdom
Verdun, I put it back. And then I relented as I have seen yours and @mg guy 's brilliant displays .. I am like that, dithering .. It's a 5L pot, so I can take cuttings.

Now I have a serious headache as the areca palms all came with big pots. I need containers with NO holes .. Very tricky .. I have big pots but they all have holes..

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
You can take hardwood cuttings now alp......you can prune Limelight from now until spring but cuttings pushed into the soil or potted up will respond well.
Excellent value too :)

Logan

Logan
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
1a
Country
United Kingdom
Just bought 6 raspberry canes called polka,for £12.95 free p&p from DT. Brown. The raspberry canes are very good from there. Should arrive this month.:)

alp

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United Kingdom
I must go there to have a look.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Ordered a couple of phlox...David, which I think is the best white, and Goldmine (a tad "loud" both in flower and foliage.....never grown it here but have elsewhere. You will need sunglasses to see it and if will need careful siting:))

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
Purchased an Ambient Weather Wireless Thermo-Hygrometer to remotely monitor the temp/humidity in my greenhouse.

41o3zs+r4mL.jpg

alp

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United Kingdom
Brilliant! You can even put some plants along the side. Looks lovely!

alp

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United Kingdom
Yesterday, at the checkout, I saw some dying plants and whilst we were paying for the expensive coving corners, the lady looking after the fast till approached me, "I know you love plant, would you like to have these?" I said to her some of the bargains I had last week were only worth £1.50, not the £5 I paid. She looked a bit contrited and offered them to me at 10p. As one still had lovely small blue flowers. I said OK. but the dying fern was really dead. She said, "Shhh! I will not charge you for that!"

I think that one was totally dead as there wasn't a green shoot or frond from that pot. If it doesn't live, it will add to my compost.

On Saturday, at the little shop up the road, the reduction lady had 1 orchid and 1 mum to be chucked as they were one day too old. I said to her that it was a real shame as the pot could fetch at least 50p, When I went back, she said if I wanted it for 75% off. I didn't want any more orchid and I got one for 50p in Wilko a while back. My house literally had no more room for air purifying plants and I need more ivy pots for the toxic fumes., so I said no (We have taped sheets across the loft and the air has been better until last night.) It's a shame that they might have to throw them away as waste.. 50p and £1 for the shop is better than throwing away a perfectly good white indoor pot.

Ask a Question