What's your latest garden buy/ bargain.....share please.

alp

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United Kingdom
Can't quite remember where you mentioned Liar! I don't really like fiction - it's a bit voyeur - seeing others in unfortunate or dangerous situation. It's like why I would watch Titanic, knowing full well that horror would be etched on dying drowning people.

Well, it's a silly story! Now, they are dragging to another series .. Yawn.. Enjoy your tea as it is going to be REAL and WARMING!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
4 to 5 best for success.
Country
United States
Just ordered----
Fritillaria meleagris
100 $15.75
Allium Firmament
5 $10.25
Allium Gladiator
5 $12.00
Allium rosenbachianum
5 $10.25
Lily Stargazer
5 $8.75
Lily Muscadet
5 $8.75

still not arrived, now I am thinking I should have ordered more Allium. maybe I can find a few around in stores. Uppity me, likes the unusual . Just thought a few clumps of them might look good in the front. second thought, won't work there, not enough sun.

alp

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United Kingdom
For allium, they don't mind dappled shade, but my garden is dry any way and enjoys a bit of setting sun, so they grow everywhere. I have so many Christophiis that I have started to chuck them. I love a compact and neat globe like Ambassador, Gladiator and such likes. Esther, it might be a good idea to go round stores and see the sizes of the bulbs and enjoy the buzz in garden centres. Often times, what you're sent is not what they are supposed to be. By the time you have your flower, you realise you have been sent the wrong thing.. This happens to me all the times. Now I like to seek out bulbs, feel them, see the pic on the front of the packet and sometimes they get reduced. Go on, treat yourself ..

alp

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United Kingdom
Went out today to buy stripping knife and plaster and in Homebase quite a few things are 50& off. By the look of it, some more discerning scavengers had been there already as some shelves were totally empty. I got a phyllostachys Nigra for £12. Well chuffed. I ordered some from a catalogue company famous for bad services years ago. Then about 23 years ago, I lugged one Chusquea Culeou from RHS Wisley Flower show. Then people kept telling me that I had not got neither. To my absolute horror, they were right. When some bamboos are young, they have black stems and as they get older, the stems turn green. I was so annoyed. I ordered another black bamboo on line and amongst 5 stems only one is still black..

Finally, for £12, I have got a proper clump. Despite the petrol money, I am happy.

I also have a hebe for £1 and a lovely chrysanthemum at £1.80 full price from Lidl.. I can't wait to limp to Lidl again.. more and different bulbs please... Will upload photos tomorrow.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6 b
Country
Russian Federation
I received an offer for seed sale from the company in which I bought seeds in the spring.
The shelf life of these seeds ends at 12. 2017. Therefore, they offer seeds of vegetables and flowers for very little money. I read a few articles on the Internet and found out that I can grow plants from these seeds. There are small exceptions. For example, aster.

Today the courier brought me a box of seeds to work. But of course, my beloved colleagues climbed into this box. Now I have less than half left! But it was fun! :D

alp

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United Kingdom
Don't believe in the expiry date! If the seeds are well kept i.e. air tight and in a coolish place, they will germinate. I had a packet of asparagus seeds which are about 5 years old. I sowed them and they are still here.. languishing as I don't have the space to plant them out. I seeded them for a laugh and I'm not laughing now as they stare at me, as if asking what I would do with them as the soil they are in is depleted of nutrients.

alp

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United Kingdom
I bought a Phyllostachys Nigra for about £12.00 reduced from £24.
SAM_0293.JPG

A wisteria for £10 from £20. It has a big climbing frame

Two big chrysanthemum for £1.15 like this one, but yellow and the pink/white is like half bald.

Attachments

• SAM_0294.JPG
    SAM_0294.JPG
    185.8 KB · Views: 189
Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Just caught up here.....alp the daphnes were marked at £30 each for 3 litre pots. I know the guy in the shop so.......(y)
Both potted up...one here and one at my niece's. Will take a picture.
Lovely large foliage and hoping for those scented flowers in Feb time:)

alp

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United Kingdom
I bought one Daphne (the one your recommended!) for £8.99 plus postage. No way it will have flowers this Feb. But saccoccoca (you know which one I mean - all I know is that it has a lot co co co.. ) flowered straight away last year when I bought it. I need to check what has happened to my expensive purchases.

You were so lucky, @Verdun We'd love to see your bargains!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Sounds good alp....what size pot?
Planting a terrarium with aloe vera today......not my thing but fun :p
Sunny now and feeling nice n warm :sneaky:

alp

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United Kingdom
2L pot - How much have you paid? You know I am nosy.:p

alp

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United Kingdom
Cunning answer. I must say 3L is a much better option. All my 3L buys last longer and can he divided whereas I have had jitters having the smaller potted plants from RHS.. They looked so much weaker. I'd rather pay £2.99 for a 3L reduced plants for Homebase or B&Q ..

There was another daphne on sale for £9.99, but I didn't buy it.

Ask a Question