What is the most satisfying part of gardening?

Reaction score
I think my favorite part is after a day or an afternoon of hard work, after cleaning up all the garden waste, putting the tools away, making it all look tidy, the time of standing there, or sitting there, and appreciating the feel and look of the garden, saying silent (or voiced!) thank you's to the plants, to the earthworms, to the ladybugs and bees and butterflies, and just generally communing with the whole garden.

Usually unless I am totally worn out, before I know it I'm seeing a patch of weed grass I missed pulling up, or a few more spent blooms to deadhead, so I will do a little more work then. Sometimes also, when sitting quietly there, I'll see a new sprout or bud I had not noticed before, and that adds to the pleasure immensely.

Reaction score
The most satisfying part for me is to watch the seeds sprout into these gorgeous plants. To watch all of your hard labor become something so incredible and delicious in most cases. The part I hate the most is to reach down for a vegetable, and touch a snake. That always gives me a start! But, feeding my family is more important so I will put up with snakes. Also, teaching my son how to feed off of the land instead of just running to the supermarket for veggies or fruits, has to be the most rewarding experience.

Reaction score
The most satisfying thing would be seeing the fruits and flowers in full bloom. It means I had been successful in taking care of my plants and I officially have a green thumb. :p

Reaction score
i'd have to agree with Amalia, I enjoy the whole process & I can't pick one specific thing that I would find the most satisfying. It's always really nice receiving praise though and seeing others enjoy the 'fruits of your labour' :)

Reaction score
To see he plants thrive and grow beautifully. If they are bloomers then seeing them bloom profusely is awesome. I felt so satifsfied the first time I planted cucumbers, I had a lot cucumbers! i had to give them away! They were 100% organic, that was a huge plus for me :)

Reaction score
The most satisfying part of gardening is actually being able to consume produces that I have toiled over; i feel a great sense of achievement and happiness from deep within.

Reaction score
I love to see something grow and come to maturity that I can eat. I like flowers too, but food is more exciting for me as it is a benefit I can taste and enjoy that way, not just look at. I love to see how vegetables grow from their little blooms and develop into a delicious food. I wish I had more space to use for growing things like tomatoes and lettuce and kale and all sorts of good things like that.

Reaction score
Probably for me the most satisfying part is when I get to see the plants growing, I remember how it was when I started and after a while I just look at the results of my hard work. It is really nice to see that something which once was only a seed grew up and now it pays you back for taking care of. This is kinda like life, first you have an idea and if you take care of it, eventually it will turn into a business which will pay you back.

Reaction score
For me the most satisfying part of gardening is looking at all of the beautiful flowers and knowing that I grew them with my own hands. Yes working in the garden takes time and patience but it's all worth it in the end after seeing what I accomplished. I think flowers help to cheer other people up so I believe you are making a positive difference in this world with your garden. It's wonderful looking at the beauty in this world and it helps you forget about your problems.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
4b
For me, it's being able to harvest vegetables. When I first harvested my okras, I felt really happy. It's as if all my hardwork paid off. This is also the reason why I love planting vegetables more than flowering plants.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Country
United States
Pat, as usual you went right to the heart of the question! Where else can you spend an hour or so working and actually SEE the results of your effort? A weed free, or nicely pruned, or cultivated space in your garden shows up immediately--no waiting.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Watching the plants grow is my absolute favorite part. I find it to be magical that I helped something spring life and flourish. My second favorite part is to eat something I grew, because it is so natural and healthy. It is also very satisfying that the food is free.

Reaction score
Country
United States
Knowing that I am raising healthy food that is free from harmful chemicals, is the most satisfying part of gardening for me. There is nothing more exciting then picking a bunch of veggies that you have raised yourself and making a meal from them. It's crazy to think how much one would have to pay for all of that yummy organic food if it was store bought.

Reaction score
Country
United States
I'm not very good at gardening yet, but I'm trying! (Determined anime face inserted here.)

Because my skills are so limited, I feel like the most rewarding thing so far is watching my plants grow! They're little living things, and I'm genuinely sad if they die or get sick. It's very therapeutic to see a happy, healthy plant thriving because of the work I put into it!

Ask a Question