Orchid in bark only dries in top part

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
10b
Country
United States
My orchids don’t have many roots that reach the bottom of the pot because they had root rot from being overwatered in moss, so I’m trying to heal them and they are growing slowly but surely.

They are in bark now, but I’m noticing the bark only dries out in the top half of the pot; the bottom stays moist. Is this common with bark?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a and 6b
Country
United States
Yes..orchids don't need water in soil like we are used to...They need moisture from air...so when the top dries out the bottom slowly evaporates and gives to the plant. Leave the bark in the pot with the orchid and water it through so it leaks out the bottom and wait a week or so and water it again..The roots will grow in the pot or even perhaps they will grow along the inside top edge or even over the lit and outside the pot...Orchids are free spirits and so are their roots...

Whatever is your AVATAR...???? That is not a Conure...It is a Lovebird.....XOXO

alp

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United Kingdom
Do you know the type of orchid please as they need slightly different requirements? An orchid mister might help.

Ask a Question