Wild Orchid Care

Zsa

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6B
Country
United States
I just purchased the most beautiful orchid I have ever seen. I typically stay away from grocery store bought ones because they tend to be very unhealthy and die on me. However, this one looked to be in peak shape (I guess they put the good ones out for Mother's Day haha). I've never encountered one with 1. leaves growing completely upward 2. planted like a plant, no exposed roots like you'd see or moss (I realize this is a wild orchid, it's probably completely different) 3. the fragrance on these beautiful blooms is outstanding. I've never actually smelled the scent of one in the past.

Anywho, I realize its not a standard orchid but would like to know how to keep it healthy since its already healthy :)

Attachments

• FullSizeRender-2.jpeg
    FullSizeRender-2.jpeg
    133.9 KB · Views: 360
  • IMG_6469.HEIC.jpeg
    IMG_6469.HEIC.jpeg
    155.8 KB · Views: 329

MaryMary

Quite Contrary
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
Zsa, what does it say on the tag I see attached? Does it give you any kind of instructions for care? Does the tag say what kind of orchid it is? :confused:

It is beautiful. :love: I know it is the spots playing tricks on me, but it reminds me of a "super-fancy" tiger lily! :LOL: .(Some hybrids are only found in my mind.)

@Larisa? @Becky? @Bootsy? You are the ones I think of when there is an orchids question... Any ideas? :unsure: :)

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
Looks like some kind of Dendrobium to me, although I'm not sure which. In terms of care advice, I find the most important thing to be the placement. Make sure it's in a spot where it gets a lot of indirect light - eg on a window sill but behind a net curtain.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6 b
Country
Russian Federation
I think it's a Cambria.

"Cambria" is the commercial name of the group of orchids, which have bright and spotted flowers. Such orchids belong to the category of intergeneric hybrids of five genera of the orchid family.
This is not a complicated orchid for the house. This orchid does not like the sun, like all orchids. Therefore, it is better to put it on windows from the north or north-west side.

Orchid Cambria does not tolerate a strong heat, drafts and sudden temperature changes. It is recommended to plant or transplant the orchid of Cambria into a mixture of moss, sawdust and coal.

For watering the pot is lowered into the warm water for 15-20 minutes once a week or two weeks.

Zsa

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6B
Country
United States
Thank you all for the replies! It only said "wild orchid" on the tag and nothing specific other than indirect light which will be easy. It was just odd seeing it in dirt so I will do a little more research on repotting and placing it in an appropriate environment :) I'll admit, I'm afraid to disturb it right now though. It looks to be doing amazing. Once it blooms completely I'll share another picture with you gals!

Ask a Question