Wildflower seedlings

MaryMary

Quite Contrary
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
I have gotten my pots mixed up and I don't know what is what.

One of these is (hopefully) New England Asters. The other one is... a yellow something. I planted two yellow somethings and didn't know the name of either. Looks like one has started! :D

May be Asters?

IMG_20180522_144639.jpg

Something yellow?

IMG_20180522_144725.jpg

IMG_20180522_145016.jpg

Any ideas? :unsure:

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
The last one is definitely not an Aster

Just popped out and took a couple of pics of my Aster seedlings,
hope they are of help to you
IMG_20180522_203625_hdr.jpg
IMG_20180522_203615_hdr.jpg

alp

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United Kingdom
2nd and 3rd could be marigold.

MaryMary

Quite Contrary
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
@MaryMary The first photo is New England Aster.

Well, that is a relief! :) They grow very slowly, don't they? :cautious: (Maybe I should put them on the back porch, they don't get sun 'til after noon where they are.) The people up the street have one that gets HUGE, it looks like a bush, and they cut it down every year, too. :confused:

The second one can't be marigolds. I'm fairly sure that it is a yellow wildflower, I just don't know which of the two is growing. :( Oh well, I'll thin them a good bit and leave them in the pot. I might not know until I see the flowers, but again, the first thing I needed to learn for gardening was patience. :rolleyes: (I'm still working on that part. Sigh.)

JBtheExplorer

Native Gardener
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
Well, that is a relief! :) They grow very slowly, don't they? :cautious: (Maybe I should put them on the back porch, they don't get sun 'til after noon where they are.) The people up the street have one that gets HUGE, it looks like a bush, and they cut it down every year, too. :confused:

I think they grow quite fast for perennials, at least for me. Yours are small, but they'll speed up as they get bigger. They tend to almost always bloom in the first year. They'll get significantly bigger the following year and they'll flower like crazy! It's like one last explosion of color before the flowering season ends. They'll also self-seed heavily, so it's worth cutting them back after they finish flowering. It's my favorite autumn-blooming plant, along with Stiff Goldenrod. Monarchs are a big fan of both.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6 b
Country
Russian Federation
Perhaps the second is one of the types of Coreopsis . Some kind of Coreopsis verticillata whorled has similar leaves. And also can have yellow flowers. (n)

alp

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United Kingdom
Don't put them to ground - if the roots are like some pinky tubers. They will go everywhere and there will be no end of it. Have the stems got hair which is a bit unpleasant to touch. Or it's just a lovely rudbeckia - in that case, you're lucky as they are indeed very zesty!

One neighbour had something similar to these and the flowers looked exactly like these - very tall, sunny, happy and zesty. I asked for some roots. Oh, I wish I hadn't asked. After that, it took one year for it to mat over my border and 3 years to get rid of all the roots. I am now allergic to them.

Ask a Question