Artificial Lighting for an apartment "plant shelf"

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
I am putting together ideas for some hanging lighting to supplement a potentially dark area of an apartment to have a plant shelf. I know from having salt water tanks, lighting can be tricky, and the height/distance of the light from the plants, quality of the reflecting ballast, and intensity of the bulbs all effect the quality of the lighting. I don't want anything that will produce heat, so florescent or compact florescents will most likely be my go-to.

Anyone have suggestions on simple ballast lighting? Something I can hang from the ceiling and plug in, no hard wiring involved. Attached are some ideas for the shelves and plants I would have growing together. Obviously these have tropical and desert plants going on, so I would have a different organization for lighting sake.

62639dffb73bd8004593fdcfae2ffc0f.jpg
8f41f639531b00bddb21f82ee3679441.jpg

Any ideas?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
USDA 10a - Sunset 22
Country
United States
Given the shelves and layout immediate overhead might not work, I don't think anything like traditional 2 x 4 florescent. I'm thinking you might need something like a outdoor type flood light or some type of track like lighting. Mount on ceiling back from the wall or shelves and aim at plants and wall. This would also keep the light from shining out where it would be more likely to shine at eyes. Not sure but I think you can adapt most hard wire type lighting to corded.

You don't say what your planning on growing? Depending on what it is will determine how much light you need. House plants like that not much, outdoor plants more. Actual germinating not too much for many seeds, post germination lots of light.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
3a
Country
Canada
Problem is that most fixtures just aren't gonna have the distance capable of effectively doing that whole area without producing heat or using multiple fixtures. With that said, you can go with an HID, rig up a DIY/multiple lighting systems using CFLS, LED'S, Florescent tubes. Or opt for a high end LED fixture.

If you just want to supplement a bit of lighting you can swap out your regular incandescent bulbs and go to an led comparable to these.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
4a
Country
Canada
Ive been wanting to do something similar, except with less plants. I just dont know where to get my hands on lights thatll make my plants happy

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Given the shelves and layout immediate overhead might not work, I don't think anything like traditional 2 x 4 florescent. I'm thinking you might need something like a outdoor type flood light or some type of track like lighting. Mount on ceiling back from the wall or shelves and aim at plants and wall. This would also keep the light from shining out where it would be more likely to shine at eyes. Not sure but I think you can adapt most hard wire type lighting to corded.

You don't say what your planning on growing? Depending on what it is will determine how much light you need. House plants like that not much, outdoor plants more. Actual germinating not too much for many seeds, post germination lots of light.

Thank you for your response! Well the lighting is partially for aesthetics, so something that hangs down on a chain from the ceiling will appeal to me visually and hopefully help give the plants extra light.

Oh nothing too fancy, but probably a good variety. On top of the plants I already have, I will add orchids, pothos, philodendron, mother in laws tongue, succulents, crotons, and I may throw in a ficus on the floor.

Since I may not have control as to what room and the window placement I want lighting to brighten up the room with the plant feature. I have the luxury of not having any furniture at the moment so when we move we will be adding things as we see fit into the apartment. This will be a main feature so I would like it to be well lit.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Problem is that most fixtures just aren't gonna have the distance capable of effectively doing that whole area without producing heat or using multiple fixtures. With that said, you can go with an HID, rig up a DIY/multiple lighting systems using CFLS, LED'S, Florescent tubes. Or opt for a high end LED fixture.

If you just want to supplement a bit of lighting you can swap out your regular incandescent bulbs and go to an led comparable to these.

Thank you for your input. I realize it is a bit big for only one hanging feature. I would consider LED's if they put out enough light. I don't have anything right now to add to.

This is a planned project when we move into an unfurnished apartment. I will have the luxury of getting all the furniture we need for it, but I might not be able to choose the window placement/lighting in the room we put this plant feature. I want it to be well lit for aesthetics as well!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Ive been wanting to do something similar, except with less plants. I just dont know where to get my hands on lights thatll make my plants happy

We will be moving into an unfurnished apartment, so I get to play room designer with the furniture. Only issue is we may get a north facing apartment and get little sun, so I want to make sure we have options for a lighting feature to illuminate the plant shelf. I want it to be a main feature in the room, as I have a lot of handmade pottery I made that I want to put plants in and display, haha.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
3a
Country
Canada
1 hid is more then capable of supplying light efficiently to that area. It will produce heat tho.

Ask a Question