What is the most satisfying part of gardening?

Reaction score
We also know what chemicals go into our gardens also .With all the drought we had this year I am seeing less and less food in the grocery stores lately .So home gardening may become more important now than ever

I forgot to say that: I love knowing what i put in my garden, and thus knowing what's going into my body. It's another extremely satisfying thing. It's that good feeling that lasts all day. :)

Drought: Interestingly it was the opposite for us. We had so much more rain this year in Florida, everyone is just shaking their heads in puzzlement.

Grocery Store: Yah, I'm seeing less food too. Nothing drastic to be very obvious here... But what is obvious is the rise in costs. This is definitely the time to have your own veggie and fruit garden. And the problem is supposed to get worse next year according to forecasters. I think having your own garden for food will be on everyone's most satisfying list soon.

Reaction score
For me, it's the whole work. It relaxes me. Uf course I love putting something I grew myself on the table D

Reaction score
I forgot to say that: I love knowing what i put in my garden, and thus knowing what's going into my body. It's another extremely satisfying thing. It's that good feeling that lasts all day. :)

Drought: Interestingly it was the opposite for us. We had so much more rain this year in Florida, everyone is just shaking their heads in puzzlement.

I'm really against using chemicals, for my own/family/pets health and for the environment, so I also like growing my own food to ensure that it's pesticide free. Plus, you can't beat free food! Well, it's not exactly free, but it's extremely cheap, especially when compared to grocery store prices. Anyways, a lot of things can't be found at grocery stores and farmer's markets. I'm really interested in growing exotic and unusual foods (fruits particularly). For instance, you never, ever find pindo palm fruit for sale for some reason, which is crazy because it's like heaven in my mouth! I could eat pindos everyday for every meal, I love them so much.

I'm a Floridian too and yeah, it's funny that this year we've had a pretty normal Florida summer with thunderstorms nearly everyday when you consider that last year there was a bad drought. I remember the wildfires last year, and even early this spring. The smoke was so bad! And it hardly ever rained, my retention pond was so low. I'm so glad that this year we've had plenty of rain! It's a shame that western US has been having a drought.

Tam

Reaction score
For me it has to be when I finally see some result of my hard work and see the "fruits of my labor" (no pun intended). When I can eat something that I made myself, for me personally there's no better feeling.

I really love it when my carrots are big enough to weed and then you see all those straight rows of carrots growing. I also love it when I start thinning my carrots, I get to eat those sweet little carrots and I also start making pickles.

Jed

Reaction score
I really love it when my carrots are big enough to weed and then you see all those straight rows of carrots growing. I also love it when I start thinning my carrots, I get to eat those sweet little carrots and I also start making pickles.
We've never had straight rows of carrots. It must be quite a sight.:) I guess it comes down to the scattering of seed approach over the entire garden bed we do. Maybe next time I will give it a go. How far apart do you do your rows?

Tam

Reaction score
We've never had straight rows of carrots. It must be quite a sight.:) I guess it comes down to the scattering of seed approach over the entire garden bed we do. Maybe next time I will give it a go. How far apart do you do your rows?
I plant my rows 5 inches apart.

Jed

Reaction score
I plant my rows 5 inches apart.
Far away enough to get your hand comfortably between the rows?

I plant potatoes and garlic in straight rows 60 feet long using a string-line. I do get enjoyment in seeing perfect lines of garlic stems but I never considered carrots like that. I'll have to give it a go. :)

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United States
For me it has to be when I finally see some result of my hard work and see the "fruits of my labor" (no pun intended). When I can eat something that I made myself, for me personally there's no better feeling.

The most satisfying thing for me is seeing the things growing at various stages. When a seed sprouts, when the seedling survives and has s growth spurt, new leaves, buds on something that blooms... any significant new growth, lol. It's all cause for excitement to me.

Reaction score
I'm a renter and I grow things in containers. The most satisfying thing for me is seeing a small, weak plant grow into a tall, beautiful plant. I have a couple of huge taro plants that started as a small cutting that I carefully took care of. I also like the satisfaction of cooking with herbs that I grew from seeds. I've had more success with my ornamental plants than with my herbs, because bugs and pests love herbs too.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Its not as easy for me to appreciate my yard when i am home all week
I get the best feeling when i am gone for the weekend on are farm ,relaxing and messing around.in the wide open
Then i come home and walk through the gate. And it hits me , how wild but controlled and comforting it feels when every thing is in its place

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United States
I'm a renter and I grow things in containers. The most satisfying thing for me is seeing a small, weak plant grow into a tall, beautiful plant. I have a couple of huge taro plants that started as a small cutting that I carefully took care of. I also like the satisfaction of cooking with herbs that I grew from seeds. I've had more success with my ornamental plants than with my herbs, because bugs and pests love herbs too.

I can completely relate! All of last spring and summer I loved being able to go outside to get fresh basil for my caprese. Later I was using it for sautees and other dishes. It smells so heavenly when you add it to something hot.

Reaction score
Just the joy of seeing things grow.. I often share my spinach with my neighbor who is a vegan..she loves them. She get a share of my herbs whenever I harvest them. Just being able to share with someone what you have loved and nurtured is rewarding in itself.
I the green leaves around me and lovely flowers are a reminder of the beautiful life I live.

Ask a Question