Male Hardy Kiwi-Vine, Full to Partial Shade?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Hello, and thanks for reading! :)

I'm curious to know if Kiwi vines will grow in full-to-partial shade. Probably a maximum of 3 hours of direct sun per day facing only two sides of the plant.

I am wanting to purchase a Kiwi vine for a shaded area but not sure if the plant would really survive. I've read articles online that it should be fine in partial shade, but I am curious if anyone knows to what extent it tolerates partial shade.

Please keep in mind that I am only growing the male Kiwi vine as an ornamental. Not for fruit.
Additionally, I realize the shade might hurt the chances of the beautiful pink foliage but I care more for the the actual vine than its color. I love vines! :D

Thanks for the tips :)

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
I tried growing kiwi a few years back. Mine was in partial sunlight for about 6 hours and the rest of the day in shade. It grew OK for about 2 years and then started to decline and died within 3 years. It was the alkaline soils that did it in. I later found out that they require acid soils in the Ph5 range. Here it is almost Ph8 and Austin is about the same. I guess you could get a half whiskey barrel and fill it with peat and it might do OK.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Country
United Kingdom
For you to get fruit, and it's not particularly easy anyway, as pollinators aren't strongly attracted to kiwi, it is necessary for your male and females to flower at the same time.
If your male is in shade, that is likely to delay flowering and you may never get fruit.
It may be OK since you're not growing for fruit, as it's a vine, but for any other members reading this, hoping to grow fruit, then it's not a good idea.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
For you to get fruit, and it's not particularly easy anyway, as pollinators aren't strongly attracted to kiwi, it is necessary for your male and females to flower at the same time.
If your male is in shade, that is likely to delay flowering and you may never get fruit.
It may be OK since you're not growing for fruit, as it's a vine, but for any other members reading this, hoping to grow fruit, then it's not a good idea.

Perfect response and what I was hoping for.

I don't want Kiwi fruit and actually prefer that it does not fruit. My favorite types of plants are vines! I have several different types of vines ranging from pothos to several grape varieties. I have too many fruiting vines :p Need space for other things.

Thanks for your help. (I know, I'm a bit late).

Ask a Question