Hardy Hibiscus help? Not sure what to do.

Reaction score
Country
United States
I bought a hardy hibiscus in late July and it hasn't had any new growth and all the old growth is changing colors like trees do in the fall. They turn yellow, get crispy and fall off. I live in a zone 5 and my soil is mostly clay/sand. My hibiscus doesn't get as much full sun as it should. Would it be ok to move it now before winter? Somewhere with more sun and better soil or leave it and move it in the spring?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Yes Alisha, move it into a full sun spot.....I would move it in 3 or 4 weeks.
However, hibiscus are sluggish into growth....late in spring to add foliage and slow when first planted.
Good drainage too but doesnt need rich soil in my experience :)

alp

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United Kingdom
@Alisha You can taking cuttings and they are very easy to propagate and youtube has loads of useful videos.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
How much sun, exactly does it get? I also have a Hibiscus, here in Florida and it dies back almost every year, they like it hot. However, since my soil doesn't freeze, the roots live thru the winter and the plant comes back in the spring. I'm not sure your Hibiscus can survive a winter in zone 5, notice I'm in zone 9a.

Do you know anyone else that grows the Hibiscus in your area? I would definitely move it to the most sunniest spot, but you'd probably be better off putting it in a pot if you dig it up now and move indoors for the winter.

Ask a Question