Female pumpkin flower problem

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
10b
Country
United States
My pumpkin plant is doing very well. It has many male flowers which started opening up already but I have one problem: the female flowers keep turning yellow and dry off before even opening up. They are a very small size when this happens.

Watering is well, I'm fertilizing enough. One thing that concerns me is that the plant is always wilting in sunlight. It's right now 91 degrees F, and it's wilting. But it always perks up when there's full shade which happens at around 2:00pm.

What's wrong? The plant can grow make flowers without a problem, but females dry out before opening.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
My pumpkin plant is doing very well. It has many male flowers which started opening up already but I have one problem: the female flowers keep turning yellow and dry off before even opening up. They are a very small size when this happens.

Watering is well, I'm fertilizing enough. One thing that concerns me is that the plant is always wilting in sunlight. It's right now 91 degrees F, and it's wilting. But it always perks up when there's full shade which happens at around 2:00pm.

What's wrong? The plant can grow make flowers without a problem, but females dry out before opening.
What are you fertilizing with?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Your containers are much too small and I would assume root bound. Also they are starving as what you are using is NOT for containers and Miracle Gro will leach out rapidly. The reason your female blooms are dying is because of lack of nutrition mainly but also because of lack of water to the roots. Take it out of the pot and repot into something at least twice as big and when you water, water from the bottom up until water stands on top of the soil.
https://www.bayeradvanced.com/find-a-product/rose-flower-care/2-in-1-systemic-rose-flower-care

Read the Q&A

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Your containers are much too small and I would assume root bound. Also they are starving as what you are using is NOT for containers and Miracle Gro will leach out rapidly. The reason your female blooms are dying is because of lack of nutrition mainly but also because of lack of water to the roots. Take it out of the pot and repot into something at least twice as big and when you water, water from the bottom up until water stands on top of the soil.
https://www.bayeradvanced.com/find-a-product/rose-flower-care/2-in-1-systemic-rose-flower-care

Read the Q&A
And start using a good organic fertilizer.
And look at your tomato plant. It should be in at least a 4 gallon bucket

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
10b
Country
United States
They aren't planted in that tiny container. It's hard to see, but they are actually planted in the large one behind that container. I just buried the vines in that small container to encourage more roots.

I'll get an organic fertilizer. What ratio is recommended?

Also, how do I water from bottom up?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
They aren't planted in that tiny container. It's hard to see, but they are actually planted in the large one behind that container. I just buried the vines in that small container to encourage more roots.

I'll get an organic fertilizer. What ratio is recommended?

Also, how do I water from bottom up?
Ratios are not important in organic fertilizers. The one I normally use is a 4-3-3 but just as long as it is organic is fine. And the pot they are planted in is too small too or at least not enough soil. Fill it almost up.
Put you container in a wheelbarrow or tub or some large container and add water until about 1/2 of your potted container is submerged and let it sit there until water stands on top. Then remove and let drain.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
10b
Country
United States
I am confused. My male flowers are growing very well. Why isn't the females doing well? I doubt it's the watering that's causing it. I think it's the heat that's stressing it out. Don't you think?

Also, why organic? I doubt it's the unorganic fertilizer that's really causing female flowers to fall off.

Also, the roots aren't root bound. I'm pretty sure. The plant is looking alright for the most part.

Reaction score
Country
United States
Wait, since when does Bayer make medicine for plants? I must have been missing something when this first came out, but it is pretty interesting and it makes me a little curious as to what it all does. I guess it makes me a little relieved that I know that if a plant is in pain there is a company that is out there looking out for them Thanks for sharing.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
I am confused. My male flowers are growing very well. Why isn't the females doing well? I doubt it's the watering that's causing it. I think it's the heat that's stressing it out. Don't you think?

Also, why organic? I doubt it's the unorganic fertilizer that's really causing female flowers to fall off.

Also, the roots aren't root bound. I'm pretty sure. The plant is looking alright for the most part.
It is the watering and lack of nutrients. All a male flower is is a flower. A female flower has to also grow a baby pumpkin. With no food or water the baby dries up and dies.. In a container with that small amount of soil, how do you know it isn't root bound? Have you taken it out of its container to make sure? When a plant is that wilted in the morning hours it is usually thirsty. If it isn't thirsty there is something wrong with the root system, more than likely root bound or twisted into a tight ball. Have you noticed that all of your small plants look perfect? It is only the older larger plants that are affected.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
10b
Country
United States
You know what? You are 100% correct. I'm going to go to Home Depot today, and get a large, large container, some organic fertilizer, and transplant this pumpkin...today! I will tell you how the root system is when I'm done with it.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
10b
Country
United States
Okay. You guys probably thought I wasn't gonna go...but I did! I made a lot of changes. But before I show you guys, @Chuck, you're so right! The miracle gro messed up my tomato plant. The leaves looked like someone chucked cinnamon on it. The leaves were wilting. It was horrible.

Anyways. Here's what it looks like know. Don't be worried, the leaves are facing down because of the move. They will turn to the sunlight in a few days.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Okay. You guys probably thought I wasn't gonna go...but I did! I made a lot of changes. But before I show you guys, @Chuck, you're so right! The miracle gro messed up my tomato plant. The leaves looked like someone chucked cinnamon on it. The leaves were wilting. It was horrible.

Anyways. Here's what it looks like know. Don't be worried, the leaves are facing down because of the move. They will turn to the sunlight in a few days.

They already look better. What happened to the tomato?

Ask a Question