Evergreens for part shade?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,
I moved into a new flat last August and I now have my first garden to look after all by my lonesome. There are currently no plants, but so far I'm planning on putting in a trellis to create a little privacy between the garden and my downstairs neighbours windows, then plant jasmine and clematis to grow over it, (it doesn't need to be 'privacy screen' coverage, just to break line of sight.
I've also got a few wide gravelled steps that lead up to the garden and a small paved area (basically an area for the bins) at the front of the house, both of which would look nice with some kind of containers. The rear garden can have deciduous plants that only need to look good when I would use the garden in the summer, so I have a few ideas there, but I would like any plants at the front of the house to keep looking relatively nice year round. Does anyone have any ideas for evergreen container plants for part shade (north-west, direct sun for a few hours at the end of the day)?
Thank you!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
4 to 5 best for success.
Country
United States
we need to see the zone you live in. I have a shade garden that is about 26 years old. to be honest evergreens, if your talking conifers do not work. Rhodos would, they do make mini ones, I believe I read. don't need those, but maybe that is more fitting for your area. Again, your zone would be helpful.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
we need to see the zone you live in. I have a shade garden that is about 26 years old. to be honest evergreens, if your talking conifers do not work. Rhodos would, they do make mini ones, I believe I read. don't need those, but maybe that is more fitting for your area. Again, your zone would be helpful.
Hi,
I'm in lowland Scotland, UK. We get frosty winter with occasional snow over late winter as well. I'm not looking for anything large like trees, maybe just small shrubs. Something with flowers would be ideal but not totally essential. It's not a very big area but is actually quite sunny now that the days are longer and has direct light for most of the afternoon. Since I'm planning to use containers and it's right at the entrance to my flat, I'd like to avoid having bare looking containers when the leaves die off and I can't store bare pots over winter for annuals or bulbs as I have no outdoor storage at the moment to do so. I'm not sure if there are options for this other than evergreens, but if you have any other ideas I'm all ears!
I've only ever dealt with houseplants before so I don't know much about looking after garden plants. The only plants that I've been thinking of so far would maybe be a forsythia if it might grow well enough in a large pot. It's deciduous but I love the look of it in spring as there are lots of them in bloom in my neighbourhood at the moment.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
4 to 5 best for success.
Country
United States
not a pot grower of shrubs. maybe others will answer. however in the shade there is a small short list of shrubs, that are evergreen that may flower. Yes lots of forsythia are blooming here now, not my favorite, just my choice, guess because its not unique and boring to me. Anyway in the winter they go out to twigs.

You do not have to store bulbs over the winter months, you can leave them in the ground. but that is not what you said initially, you want a shrub. But one that blooms. and not tall.

My weather also gets very cold here, below freezing often in the winter and for long periods, and lots of snow.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
not a pot grower of shrubs. maybe others will answer. however in the shade there is a small short list of shrubs, that are evergreen that may flower. Yes lots of forsythia are blooming here now, not my favorite, just my choice, guess because its not unique and boring to me. Anyway in the winter they go out to twigs.

You do not have to store bulbs over the winter months, you can leave them in the ground. but that is not what you said initially, you want a shrub. But one that blooms. and not tall.

My weather also gets very cold here, below freezing often in the winter and for long periods, and lots of snow.
Thanks for your help and sorry if I'm a bit all over the place. I've done nothing to the area so far so I'm open to any options for brightening it up. I wouldn't mind the forsythia being twigs in the winter as long as the other plants there keep some appeal to them as the forsythia would likely be in a corner and be relatively unassuming.

Reaction score
Country
United States
How about a Camellia? The flowers are spectacular and may bloom for several months. When the shrub is out of bloom the foliage is a luxurious, glossy green. Prune to shape immediately after flowering. The soil should lean acidic, no problem in a container.

There are many beautiful cultivars to choose. Word has it that Camellia x williamsii hybrids are particularly good for cooler climates.

Ask a Question