What is the most satisfying part of gardening?

Reaction score
For me it has to be when I finally see some result of my hard work and see the "fruits of my labor" (no pun intended). When I can eat something that I made myself, for me personally there's no better feeling.

Reaction score
Before I lived where I do now, we had to drive 40 miles one way to take care of our garden. My favorite thing was when we started harvesting. Once a week we would pick and we had such and abundance, it was beautiful piled up there under the tree. All the colors of nature in its wholesome goodness, grown by our labor. It is great. I like canning what I grow and eating it in the winter. Sometimes everything for supper, I had grown/raised and preserved, awesome! This year we raised our own beef, it is at the butcher shop now, and bunnies, also already in the freezer, some of them are in jars labeled Mexican Taco Soup (YUMMMMM), and we have our own eggs.

Reaction score
for me gardening is not only a hobby its what i love...weeding is my favourite part of gardening because at the end of it all u look at your garden and really feel proud of your hardwork as the garden looks so neat clean and fresh. i love the way the plants look like they can have a sigh of relief...harvesting time is also one of the best times..there is nothing as good as eating what u have tendered yourself. something that feels so fresh

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
Poland
The most satisfying part of gardenig for me is when I can eat a yummy sandwich with vegetables that I've grown on my own. It's great because I know that they're really healthy and I'm very proud of what I've done:D I also love walking through my garden and looking at my roses. When I see them bloom, I feel really happy:D

Reaction score
The most satisfying part of gardening, for me, is the effect is has on my anxiety levels. I have always struggled with anxiety and depression, and gardening is just as good as taking a medication for those problems! It is proven that playing in the dirt releases endorphins, and I will be the first to vouch for that.

Reaction score
I am in love with animals, and wildlife, and am generally in an excellent mood when all around me is buzzing and things are happening. So, gardening in way calms me, especially when there is wildlife drawn to what I myself have created, put in the ground. I love it when there are hummingbirds, and I love it when there are creatures drawn to the vegetables I've nurtured. It doesn't even bother me if they get it. I just like having animals near. The more heartbeats the better, I like my garden to be alive in more than one way.

Reaction score
Sitting back and enjoying it after all the hard work I have put into it. I hate weeding though!!! Too much landscaping to keep up with all the weeds!

Reaction score
I am with you on the weeding,,, WAY too many weeds on my place. We have a vacant lot next to us and of course the wind always blows, so even if I were the best weeder we would still have a ton.....

Reaction score
The most satisfying part is seeing the result of your hard work - the edibles! I love eating fruit, veggies and other edibles from my own garden. And I love checking everyday to see if the food is ready for harvest and watching the plants grow, flower and finally fruit. I love all parts of gardening though really, there's something oddly satisfying and relaxing about weeding, digging around in soil, pruning, etc.

Reaction score
I don't have enough space to actually plant a lot of things (little patch behind my townhouse) so I plant a lot in containers. The best part of gardening for me is nurturing something and seeing it grow! I tried my hand at planting tomatoes in a container this past summer and I really enjoyed stepping outside my back door to grab a tomato!.

I mostly plant flowers and houseplants, but I just love the calming feeling I get from playing in the dirt. When I am stressed or feeling down, buying a plant or repotting a plant always picks me up.

Jed

Reaction score
I guess the most satisfying part of gardening is eating the produce I've grown. When I have a bowl of my vegetables and herbs and cook an entire meal using them. Often we have roast vegetables smothered with my home grown mushrooms making a yummy gravy or other times vegetable omelettes using our eggs. Then there is the the small fruit harvests of raspberries and strawberries for dessert covered with yoghurt.:)
Totally satisfying.

zigs

Cactus Grower, Kent.
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
I love it when I sit down to a meal thats been grown, caught or forraged by myself.

The other thing is just sitting on the plot at the end of the day & having a bottle of wine (yep, make that too) and just enjoying the evening as the sun goes down.

Reaction score
The most satisfying part of gardening is being able to enjoy it once it blooms.

If it's flowers blooming... there's nothing more beautiful than having breakfast early in the morning with a colorful view. You should see me in early spring... I get crazy excited when I see the first few colored petals peeking through all that green. Whether it's looking at my backyard or driving down a street, the sight is always a miracle for me.

If it's fruits and herbs... there's nothing like a fresh salad straight from your garden. The taste is always so much better. Maybe it's because I know how much work I put into it. hahaha!!! :)

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
We also know what chemicals go into our gardens also .With all the drought we had this year I am seeing less and less food in the grocery stores lately .So home gardening may become more important now than ever

Reaction score
It's definitely the veggies I get at the end.

I love having finally made it to the point where it looks (and tastes!) successful. It makes all of the work worth it and you get to taste all the yumminess.

Ask a Question