What do you/did you do to earn your daily wage?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
I worked for the same company for over 40 years. I started in the shipping department and after 6 months they asked if I would like to go back to school to learn engineering. I jumped at the chance and also took courses in CAD programming and hydraulics. After a few years I took over as the Quality Assurance Manager. For the last 8 years of my tenure there I was an ISO9000 and AS9100 auditor. Most of that time was spent bringing our suppliers up to speed so they could become ISO certified. Now I'm retired and farming in North Carolina.

Sounds as if you had a good run Silentrunning. Given you screen name, I pegged you as a submariner.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7b
Country
United States
Sounds as if you had a good run Silentrunning. Given you screen name, I pegged you as a submariner.

I got that nickname way back in school because I didn't talk much. One of my teachers said I would be perfect for working on a submarine when they are running silent. (n)

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
I worked for the same company for over 40 years. I started in the shipping department and after 6 months they asked if I would like to go back to school to learn engineering. I jumped at the chance and also took courses in CAD programming and hydraulics. After a few years I took over as the Quality Assurance Manager. For the last 8 years of my tenure there I was an ISO9000 and AS9100 auditor. Most of that time was spent bringing our suppliers up to speed so they could become ISO certified. Now I'm retired and farming in North Carolina.

And, loving every minute of it, right @Silentrunning ?

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
I got that nickname way back in school because I didn't talk much. One of my teachers said I would be perfect for working on a submarine when they are running silent. (n)

Great little anecdote. I was just wondering how you picked that user name when I read your previous post. They used to call me baby-face in HS, but not any more at my age! :whistle:

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
My father owned his own company before he passed away so I knew how hard it was to run a successful business. I can't say I loved every minute of working there, but I appreciated the opportunity every day I went in.

OOPS! When I said that, I was referring to the last sentence..."Now I'm retired and farming in North Carolina". That's what the "and, loving every minute of it" was referring to.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Keir Hardy
Country
United Kingdom
I ran large superstores for more than a couple of decades. Before that departmental stores. This involved for the most part, wearing sharp suits and highly polished shoes and making regular tours of the store, talking to the staff, sometimes smoothing down the odd ruffled feather my instructions to others occasionally caused... But you could learn a lot listening to staff. I always believed that they often would tell you things you already knew, sometimes during your tour, nine things, but if you weren't willing to listen to the nine, you wouldn't hear the tenth, which might be something important.
Some managers undervalue their staff, they're you're greatest asset. If you look after them, they'll look after you.

Oh yes and I compiled budgets. It's a habit which I can't give up. I set myself financial budgets each year and monitor them on rolling Excel spread sheets. So I never have any money worries. Mind you, if I think I'm going over-budget, I'm still OK as I always factor in a figure for contingencies. If the expenses look as if they are still going over, I say sod it and just change the budget! Couldn't do that when I was working!

It's now twenty years since I took early retirement and the job has changed dramatically. No longer are general manager's "king of all they survey." In "my day," you didn't need to wear a badge to let people know who you were, when they tried to introduce them, we senior managers refused to wear them. Customers knew who you were by your appearance. I'd spend time talking to them, you're lucky if you ever see a manager in big stores these days.

Flair and initiative (and probably good bonuses) went out the window as head offices exercised more control and managers became lesser paid "jobsworths" just there to carry out instructions. We wouldn't brook any interference, in the way we ran our stores, that wouldn't be the case now, I could see it coming so I got out.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
From 1970 -2005 ( TOOOO long to do one thing....IMO ) owned an auto parts store in a VERY small agricultural town......2005 - 2008, worked for a building supply company delivering lumber until the housing bubble busted and the company shut down. Next 2 years spent as 24/7 caretaker of my wife of 35 years, during which time intense gardening was the ONLY think that kept me somewhat distracted and sane from all the worry (therapy for the soul), until she passed away in Oct. 2010. Next 2 1/2 years spent in groceries as a produce manager. Currently, VERY happily remarried (2015) and semi-retired, working 24hrs a week as warehouse/properties manager for a home building company.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
From 1970 -2005 ( TOOOO long to do one thing....IMO ) owned an auto parts store in a VERY small agricultural town......2005 - 2008, worked for a building supply company delivering lumber until the housing bubble busted and the company shut down. Next 2 years spent as 24/7 caretaker of my wife of 35 years, during which time intense gardening was the ONLY think that kept me somewhat distracted and sane from all the worry (therapy for the soul), until she passed away in Oct. 2010. Next 2 1/2 years spent in groceries as a produce manager. Currently, VERY happily remarried (2015) and semi-retired, working 24hrs a week as warehouse/properties manager for a home building company.
Life has a way of kicking us in the shins every now and again David. So happy to here it didn't take you down. A belated congrats to you and yours.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
I run an infant and toddler childcare center...
smbaby.gif

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
can appreciate the regulations you need to follow. If I recall the regulations come into play after a certain number.
Regulations are definitely needed for the sake of the children, but yeah they are the worst aspect of my job! No wait, I changed my mind
smhithead.gif
...ignorant, whining, controlling parents are way worse!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
4 to 5 best for success.
Country
United States
In my job, @Gemma , I have to deal with regulations all the time. prior to this job was a nursing home administrator, now in the mental health system with those regs. (easier than nursing home regs. )

yes, some families can be a real treat. but for the most part the ones I have now are nice.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
I've just remembered some more things I do/have done to add to those in post #26.

I used to, and still do a little, Pro Bono consumer law cases, helping out members of the public usually against big business, local authorities, government departments and NGOs. To be fair to those organisations, most of the cases are simple misunderstandings and are easily settled. Until the last two years I was averaging a couple of court cases per year (never lost any (y)) but haven't been to court since (got very close to it a couple of times :)).

I also taught Indian cookery at evening classes.

I'll probably remember some more things later on. :D

Ask a Question