Greenhouse - did you do it on your own?

Reaction score
Country
Poland
Hi! I would love to build a greenhouse in my garden.I have got a lot of place so I thought that it would be a perfect idea, because of the fact that I love plants and growing them. The weather is perfect now so building it wouldn't be a problem. My budget is quite big so I can use more expensive materials. I know that it should be placed in area with a lot of daylight. I also read something about watering etc, but I decided to ask you. Maybe some of you tried to built a greenhouse?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5A
Country
Canada
I bought kit greenhouses and put them together myself. And I have 9 grandchildrn ranging in ages from 8 to 26. So if I can do it, you probably can!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Keir Hardy
Country
United Kingdom
Dunno about building one.

I demolished a 12' X 9' cedar greenhouse in about half an hour.
It was where our tea-house now lives.

Gardening Girl

This is my garden several years back.
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
I have had greenhouses for over 20 years now. I say build one! It should be located with the gable ends facing north and south unless you are going to try to build a solar style greenhouse. If you are going to go solar you should have a large south facing sloping wall. There are a lot of choices as far as the glazing material - polyfilm (be sure to use UV protected film), polycarbonate sheets, and glass if you are using a kit. If you are building your own you can use these materials or recycled materials. Be careful if you are using used windows not to put non tempered glass overhead. It is against code in the US and just plain old not safe. It should be placed in a sunny area without a lot of trees or other obstructions. You should put it somewhere that you can get utilities to - water, natural gas, propane, electric. Make sure that it has good ventilation and an appropriately sized heater. Most of all, enjoy! You will spend hours relaxing in a greenhouse.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
I built my own from scrap timber

top end.jpg

Reaction score
Country
United States
Built mine from scratch with no plans in 2016. It's 9ft x 10ft. Scrounged, salvaged & bought all the materials. Total cost was near $1500. I don't have power or water yet, but it's on my list to get it done. By far, it's not perfect but functional for me in NE Ohio.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Glass filters out UV. Plastic doesn't, but doesn't last as long. Trade-offs... always.

Reaction score
Country
United States
The corrugate plastic I utilized is known by the trade name: PalramSunTuf. It is non-yellowing & impact resistant.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5A
Country
Canada
@treeguy Palram polycarbonate stops UV - it is one of their speculations noted on their product packaging so it different from what you're probably thinking of. I just bought the greenhouse kits because my building skills are limited.

@NE Ohio John I really like the look of your greenhouse. So pleasant :)

Reaction score
Country
United States
@treeguy Palram polycarbonate stops UV - it is one of their speculations noted on their product packaging so it different from what you're probably thinking of. I just bought the greenhouse kits because my building skills are limited. View attachment 50511

@NE Ohio John I really like the look of your greenhouse. So pleasant :)
Thanks. I wanted something that lpoked me cottage style instead of a standard greenhouse

Reaction score
Country
United States
Two years ago my Amish friends revamped our home from 900 sq ft to 4300 sq ft. As part of this is a 40x20' attached greenhouse. We live on a hillside so our greenhouse sits about 20' above the hillside. I went with Solexx for the roof, once the sun is up we have light! It is nice sitting in a warm greenhouse surrounded by green plants watching it snow outside. We use a combination of soil and hydroponics to grow our food. We have lemon, orange, peach trees in addition to all the others plants. Oscillating fans in each corner in addition to box fans to move the air around, heat is provided by a 2,000 sq ft heater that burns wood.

Ask a Question