How to get the best out of my greenhouse

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a large greenhouse and in spring and summer it’s full to the roof but as soon as my toms and peppers and what not have finished it’s empty for nearly 4 months seems a shame it’s south facing and I’m saving up to buy a heater of some description any ideas what I could grow in there between autumn and spring ? I spent a lot of money this year on bedding plants ,shrubs and garden plants could I grow from seed in the greenhouse ready for spring ?any help would be great thank you

alp

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United Kingdom
@Leeski Try to get some bubble wrap and polystyrene boards as it will reduce quite a bit of money for the heater. This man was moaning about how expensive kerosene was in diy store. He said, "Nearly £8 for a tub." @Upsy Daisy is very good with her bottle method. If you put the seeds inside a bottle inside a greenhouse could save quite a bit of money.

I am glad that you have started this thread. Also, it might be a good idea to overwinter tender plants in your greenhouse and take cuttings there.

alp

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United Kingdom
You can sow seeds earlier in the greenhouse if it is south facing. But beware of damping off. Also tender plants can overwinter safely in a greenhouse. You could also take cuttings. Generally, your greenhouse can prolong your growing season!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Thanks for the links and advice have decided to just do some winter veg in the greenhouse and bin the idea of getting a heater .
And use my conservatory as a greenhouse as easier to control temperature

alp

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United Kingdom
If you heat your conservatory, that's not a bad idea. My polycarbonate old lean to used to look after my plants. Now I have 2 solid walls, it's not so good any more.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
We never heat our greenhouse, hubs makes an inner....tent ( can't think of a better discription:LOL:) out of bubble wrap . I can
successfully keep things growing/ ticking over during winter with little problem.
As @alp said I am a great believer in the American Winter Sowing method....most can be safely left outside , but I also use the plastic milk containers as added protection for more delicate plants within the bubble wrap ' tent' inside the greenhouse during the winter.

http://upstategardenersjournal.com/winter-sowing-a-gardeners-winter-delight/

Ask a Question