Best place...

alp

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United Kingdom
I personally would prefer to buy trees in stores rather than online as the delivery cost for a big and mature tree is just too much for the supplier or you to absorb. I have bought tree online, in stores and have found out that those online are bound to be shorter, smaller. You have to factor in the weight of the compost and the height of the trees.I bought some of my trees bare root when they are reduced in diy gcs. They are about 6 foot tall and yet reduced to £3, half of £6 initially asked for. I bought 7 of them, some peaches, some apples, plums, cherries and pears. When it is cold, you really can buy them bare root and grafted. Or opt for some reputable companies and choose dwarf root stocks. That way, even though your trees mature, they won't grow to enormous size or too big to handle. If you want to buy trees such as privet to grow as hedge, there probably is nothing wrong with buying them online. Make sure you have recourse if the trees arrive stressed or the suppliers haven't taken good care of them.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Tree varieties are not created equal. One must know what to look for in a tree and the only way to do that is to look at it. Buying a tree online is a crapshoot as you don't know what you are buying.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
4 to 5 best for success.
Country
United States
Yes, what type of tree? Go get a wonderful Tree book and look through it. there are so many types out there. Some with wonderful truck colors, limb structures, growth habit. Leaf size, look, colors, flowers etc. Shade or Sun position. If I had more space to actually choose a tree to plant I'd be spending my winter finding something unique. do you want it for shade? So many questions. and always respect the zone. The unique tree I finally got years ago from reading about it in a book took me 9 months to locate it, I did not give up. Every nursery would say, never heard about it, never heard about it. Finally in a small, tiny nursery I found it. and to this day I marvel at the beauty of it .

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
Oops I forgot to tell you what kind. I’m wanting a honey crisp Apple tree, my local arborist did not have them the previous two years. I have three Apple trees already but honey crisp is what I want the most.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7b
Country
United States
Oops I forgot to tell you what kind. I’m wanting a honey crisp Apple tree, my local arborist did not have them the previous two years. I have three Apple trees already but honey crisp is what I want the most.

Honey Crisp is my hands down favorite apple for eating. I got introduced to it a few years back on a deer hunting trip to Michigan. If you can’t find it locally there may be a problem with growing it in your hardiness zone. They don’t sell them in my area and I think it’s because we don’t get enough cold days.

alp

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United Kingdom
How about Pink Lady, Jazz? My favorite is gala - sweet and crisp and crunchy!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Yep, I think Honey Crisp is the best apple out there. Sweet, crisp and it is much better in pies than anything, even Granny Smith. And when cooked it keeps its texture really really well.

alp

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United Kingdom
I must look out for this Honey Crisp and we do sell it here!

Ask a Question