Manure Best, As We Probably Knew

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
This reminds me of a nagging thought I've had over the years.

If you heavily mulch your garden, it becomes a habitat for so many critters from the microscopic up to the size of lizards/snakes and birds....

How does all that "manure" compare to more traditional forms of manure? But there has probably never been a study on that, I'm guessing.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
This reminds me of a nagging thought I've had over the years.

If you heavily mulch your garden, it becomes a habitat for so many critters from the microscopic up to the size of lizards/snakes and birds....

How does all that "manure" compare to more traditional forms of manure? But there has probably never been a study on that, I'm guessing.
There have been many many studies and the vast majority of them have found that animal and fowl manure is by far the superior. It seems that mulch hinders or slows the production of NKP in the soil. Mulch is still a great thing to use but the larger the mulch particles the longer it takes to make available NKP to plants. Applying mulch to the surface MIGHT hinder slightly the production of NPK but not enough to really make a difference as compared to no mulch at all. Compost on the other hand is just old degraded composted mulch and actually increases the NPK.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United States
The relationships are fascinating to me. Poop is a product that carries substances that are precursors for all plant hormones. Dissolved organic matter and amino acids are two biggies. It is initially hard to reconcile the common advice of not putting meat or other protein sources in a compost pile with the levels of proteins, amino acids, and related enzymes and components that come in manure, which are then broken down even further by the biodome and enter the plant life cycle. While NPK and minor and micronutrients are all important, the hormones and their sources are what make plant magic happen, and are the singlemost fundamental difference between synthetic and organic fertilizers. The papers and studies on the interrelationships of the biochemistry go on and on to the point that a person has to simply choose where to start and where to stop or you end up studying the whole world. Manure is a great place to start.

Last edited:

alp

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United Kingdom
Now I need to go and get more.

Someone is offering fruit pulp for compost. I will get that to feed my worms!

We make cold pressed fruit and vegetable juice. As a result of our cold press process, we generate pulp and trimmings from the best produce we can afford.
We give the pulp and trimmings to local allotments and gardeners to turn into compost to use on their soil.
Please get in touch if you are interested in the pulp and trimmings and the cardboard from the many boxes of produce we use.

What a good find and he doesn't ask for donation. LOL!

Ask a Question