Emma

Recreational bird watcher and novice gardener
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7b
Country
United States
Good morning,
I live in central NC, zone 7b. We had a warm February this year, and then a whirlwind of a March (snow, then warm temps, then snow...)
I waited until the very last week of March which was a little chilly, to plant dormant hydrangeas on my patio. Around 60's during the day and 40's at night.
Since then, it has warmed up significantly and everything is beginning to bloom here, as well as turn yellow from the pollen!

My hydrangeas however, are still just woody stalks with no green. I read somewhere that it is recommended to transplant hydrangeas in fall or winter while they are dormant and the ground is still workable.
These, I bought from a Home Depot on a whim, and they are dormant Nikko Blue.
After planting them in a wooden planter on my patio, I watered them thoroughly once. Since then, I wait for the soil to almost dry out to water them a little more. I make sure the soil is not too wet, and there is drainage.

I notice neighbors have hydrangeas that are planted in the ground and they have green leaves already showing. Did I wait too long to "transplant" these dormant hydrangeas? I am concerned they will not grow at all.

Thanks!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
4 to 5 best for success.
Country
United States
Just this past March? I am gathering you planted it in the ground. Hydrangeas like to settle first with their feet for a while, I would not worry, you may not see anything. for a while. And there also are various types. Some shoot new stems from the ground. some leaf off old stems, Have thirteen varieties. Just let it get used to the new area. It will take many months. Don't compare it to your neighbors, theirs may have been in ground for years and could be a different variety.

Emma

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7b
Country
United States
Just this past March? I am gathering you planted it in the ground. Hydrangeas like to settle first with their feet for a while, I would not worry, you may not see anything. for a while. And there also are various types. Some shoot new stems from the ground. some leaf off old stems, Have thirteen varieties. Just let it get used to the new area. It will take many months. Don't compare it to your neighbors, theirs may have been in ground for years and could be a different variety.
Unfortunately, I had to plant my hydrangeas in a large planter because I live in an apartment complex. You're right, I shouldn't be comparing my newley planted hydrangeas to neighboring houses who probably have a different variety or a longer-existing plant.
I really wanted to add some lush green and blue to my patio this year, and thought maybe planting these dormant bunches would be a good way to do so since my patio gets a lot of shade.
Would I have been better off buying hydrangeas that have flowers already if I was hoping to have that this summer?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
4 to 5 best for success.
Country
United States
Part of being a gardener is having patience . you want to choose things that bloom in alternate times to have something fresh starting. I have tons of shade. so mostly, your looking for plants with interesting leaves not necessarily a flower, colorful leaves and shapes etc. check out my thread on this forum. or go to my you tube site at Estherredstar channel.

Emma

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7b
Country
United States
Part of being a gardener is having patience . you want to choose things that bloom in alternate times to have something fresh starting. I have tons of shade. so mostly, your looking for plants with interesting leaves not necessarily a flower, colorful leaves and shapes etc. check out my thread on this forum. or go to my you tube site at Estherredstar channel.
I will check that out, thanks! I recently moved into this complex and have not had so much shade to work with before, so I am struggling a bit to find plants that may work on my patio.
Hopefully my hydrangeas are settling in well and maybe I will at lease have some nice greenery once they're ready.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7b
Country
United States
I too bought some of the Hydrangea from HD. A couple of them were sticks stuck in dirt with no sign of life. The rest have started to set leaves and seem to be doing fine. Just be patient soon you will be enjoying beautiful flowers.

alp

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United Kingdom
I too bought some of the Hydrangea from HD. A couple of them were sticks stuck in dirt with no sign of life. The rest have started to set leaves and seem to be doing fine. Just be patient soon you will be enjoying beautiful flowers.

They love a lot of water. I mean A LOT!

Ask a Question