Guerilla gardening: did you ever just have to take care of plants that weren't yours?

Reaction score
Today my family threw a shovel in the back of the van and drove over to a tree that had been knocked down, but not killed, by last October's Superstorm Sandy. We were very surprised that no one had taken care of it, as it's a sidewalk tree and therefore belongs to the city, which is usually pretty good about taking care of it's trees. But people had been throwing trash in the hole left by it's partial uprooting, and more trash had collected within the branches. (Including a plastic bag that was filled with stagnant water--at least we hope it was just stagnant water--because it all dripped down my sister's neck as she righted the tree.) The tree is mostly upright now and I hope it will be ok.
How many of us have had the experience where we saw a plant that needed care, and provided it even though it wasn't our business to do so?

Reaction score
i've never done it, but i have wondered about adding plants on property that isn't mine.

the cheap fruit trees mentioned in a few otther threads. i sometimes wonder if i got a couple when they got down to the couple dollar range, if i could plant them along the local riverwalk. there are already a few wild mulberry trees and some blackberries (cut back pretty far since they're thorny) that it's nice to pick a few from along the way. be even better if there were more and various other things along the way.

in fact seeing this topic made me send an email to the mayors feedback site to ask.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
Poland
I was taking care of some plants in my grade school during vacation. It was quite fun:D
Also, whenever I'm at the store and I notice a plant that looks poor and damaged, I always buy it because I want to help it. I hate when plants look unhappy.

Reaction score
My current apartment building has a courtyard where tenants plant things.The plants in the courtyard seem to belong to the first floor tenants, but if I notice that they look a little dry, I'll water them.

OP ,it was very kind of you to help that tree when so many other people didn't care.

Reaction score
Did the tree live? Were you able to save it?

We live out in the country so taking care of downed trees and things of that nature is a given for us. If a tree is down across the road normally 2 or 3 people with chainsaws will help cut the tree up enough to get it out of the road.

Now we have also picked fruits and berries from wild plum trees and blackberry vines before as well.

Reaction score
I've taken care of plants that weren't mine. I feel bad when I see a plant that needs care such as watering or weeding. I like to reach out and help the plants. It doesn't matter whether they are my plants or anybody else's plants. If a plant needs help, I will help it.

Reaction score
I was taking care of some plants in my grade school during vacation. It was quite fun:D
Also, whenever I'm at the store and I notice a plant that looks poor and damaged, I always buy it because I want to help it. I hate when plants look unhappy.
Me too. I've bought a plant at the Walmart garden center just because it looked pathetic and near death and I wanted to save it. I have a hard time saying no to a plant that needs help.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
Poland
Me too. I've bought a plant at the Walmart garden center just because it looked pathetic and near death and I wanted to save it. I have a hard time saying no to a plant that needs help.
Saving a dying plant is a wonderful thing to do, isn't it? It always makes me very happy and I feel like a really good person, haha:p. But seriously, I can't stand the thought of poor, little plants at stores, where nobody takes care of them. I'd love to buy them all!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
13b
Country
India
Yeah. I do. My neighbors have a basil and rose plant. They hardly water it so I water them along with my other plants And I took care of the plants in our school too (Shhh.. secret :p) And I take care of a plant if I notice it needs attention doesn't matter whose it is. It just feels wonderful :love: That was very kind of you :)

Reaction score
I have and still do it - I really enjoy it. When I can do it and not get caught I love it even more. I see so many spots that if they were fixed up the would do wonders for the rest of the area.

Reaction score
Saving a dying plant is a wonderful thing to do, isn't it? It always makes me very happy and I feel like a really good person, haha:p. But seriously, I can't stand the thought of poor, little plants at stores, where nobody takes care of them. I'd love to buy them all!

The little "mom & pop" garden center I go to has an area of discount plants with a sign Plant Hospital. I can't resist having a look there every time I go... which is gonna be soon cause I need something to replace my snap beans, that have fizzled out after producing so much more than I expected. This time of year the regular tomatoes start finishing up and you need to plant more heat tolerant varieties.

Reaction score
Well my neighbor wanted me to take care of his dog for a week. When I got over there I noticed that some of his plants were in horrible health so I watered them and took care of them,

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
Poland
The little "mom & pop" garden center I go to has an area of discount plants with a sign Plant Hospital. I can't resist having a look there every time I go... which is gonna be soon cause I need something to replace my snap beans, that have fizzled out after producing so much more than I expected. This time of year the regular tomatoes start finishing up and you need to plant more heat tolerant varieties.
I've never seen a Plant Hospital like this. At stores in my area, weak plants usually aren't discounted:( But I buy them anyway, because it breaks my heart when I see how poor they look. Knowing that I'm helping them is very rewarding.

Reaction score
We rent a house and the landlord is supposed to maintain the garden (just greens and shrubbery) but he does nothing with it. I love gardening but it's hard for me to want to spend time and money on something I don't own. Nobody else in the neighborhood takes care of their gardens or lawns (except for one neighbor), so it's not as if we're required to match the rest of the street. We pay someone to mow and that's about it. However, my husband is constantly doing the things you and your sister did. He especially takes care of other people's rose bushes if he sees they need care. I think it's sweet. :)

Reaction score

I wish my local garden center would do that. I hate seeing the plants that are near death but could be saved with a little TLC sitting in the trash.
Walmart just sees neglected plants as damaged merchandise and throws them out. If they marked them down, I'd buy some and try to nurse them back to health.

Ask a Question