What's your gardening plan for 2019?

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
What do you have planned for your garden this year? I imagine many of us are starting to formulate plans for the year ahead, once it starts to warm up a bit (for most of us at least).

My plans for this year are to:
  • Repoint the paving in the back garden (did the front last year)
  • Fix/sort the watering system, as our old water timer broke, so may be a good time to get it working better
  • Get some more native plants growing at the back of the garden. We had a random fern spring up as a weed that @Becky really liked, so we're going to get some more native plants growing near the pond.
  • Get a patch ready for onion growing :D
  • Make the most of the sunshine when it's summer and have more BBQs :ROFLMAO:

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Country
United States
Ah, Ian, I do like an ambitious man!
Our plans are:
to grow as many vegetables as possible and distribute them to willing and unwilling recipients
grit my teeth and trim back the roses that are going rampant
weed, weed, and weed
freeze and can vegetables
add fennel to the herb garden
and occasionally, only occasionally, sit on the patio with a glass of wine and congratulate ourselves on what is growing!

JBtheExplorer

Native Gardener
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
I'd like to add more native grasses to my gardens, so I'll be attempting to grow some from seed this spring. I've also got to work on filling in my new birdhouse gardens that I created/expanded last year. I might also add a boardwalk in my native garden, where it always floods over the path. Other than that, no big additions or changes planned.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Keir Hardy
Country
United Kingdom
To be honest, we'll probably add nothing.

There's very little room left. I put in nearly three hundred bulbs a couple of days ago.
We'll see what they look like, at the end of the summer and if necessary move some around.

I will have to replace the two rondels I made to hide the coach bolts that secure the front beams of this pergola to the two support posts, as I made them from plywood which is delaminating. I only replaced them about ten years ago, I may make them again in plastic.

Plywood ain't what it was. I made these panels with a jigsaw thirty years ago, with a coat of paint every few years they're still in perfect condition, like the rest of the building.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
64 pepper plants
128 tomato plants
40 okra plants
12 squash plants
30 cantaloupe plants
30 crenshaw melon plants
30 casaba melon plants
15 crimson sweet watermelon plants
15 moon and stars watermelon plants
240 feet of bush beans
assorted herbs
make good use of a hula hoe
brew a lot of compost tea
do a lot of plant inspection

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
We added two 30' by 4' raised beds this year and need to install an irrigation system to cover everything. It's getting too hard to drag hoses all over the place! We are going to add raspberries, Hazelnuts, and cherries to the orchard (hopefully).

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
We added two 30' by 4' raised beds this year and need to install an irrigation system to cover everything. It's getting too hard to drag hoses all over the place! We are going to add raspberries, Hazelnuts, and cherries to the orchard (hopefully).
Splashed out on this last summer @Tjohn and it sure makes life a lot easier :)

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Keir Hardy
Country
United Kingdom

Depends how big is your garden.

I have a leaky hose system that waters all the beds. I have a Hoselock water meter connected to a dedicated tap so I can water whatever length of time I like. The coverage is in three sections, so with two of these Hoselock valves. I can water any one, two, or all sections.

For our small lawn I have these, I installed myself seven years ago at cost of around £50. They run on mains pressure.

Freezing temperatures don't bother them as it's all "speed-fit" plastic pipes, so nothing to burst. Work every time I turn them on from the Spring. But we don't often need them.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
@Tetters we've got one like that too, and it makes life so much easier! They're expensive but it's a great investment :)

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Keir Hardy
Country
United Kingdom
@Tetters we've got one like that too, and it makes life so much easier! They're expensive but it's a great investment :)

Actually the fifty quid covered everything.

I bought the heads new on e-Bay for £7 each and then a reel of speedfit pipe and all the connections from a plumber's wholesalers. I recycled an old central heating control valve to turn them on.

I put them in, in an afternoon, cutting a "V" shaped 6" deep trench in the lawn, then replacing the turf. The scar disappeared after a couple of weeks. The biggest job was digging up a small bit of the path, then relaying it to allow the supply pipe to cross under it.

The trick is to get the supply to meet the two feeeder pipes in the middle to get an even distribution of water.

"Dry Run." Actually.... "Wet run," to see if it would work.

Done and dusted.

A length of waste pipe protects the speed-fit above ground.

You can adjust the heads to cut out any size of quadrant, as I did here so I didn't water the tea-house.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
@Tetters we've got one like that too, and it makes life so much easier! They're expensive
Yep, it cost an arm and a leg - and better reviews than the hozelock one, but I thought it's that kind of arm and leg - or my poor old battered ones from tripping over all the ruddy hoses all over the place. It's great that it puts itself away - sometimes with great ferocity.... one of my better purchases :D

Last edited by a moderator:
P

Peace perfect peace

What do you have planned for your garden this year? I imagine many of us are starting to formulate plans for the year ahead, once it starts to warm up a bit (for most of us at least).

My plans for this year are to:
  • Repoint the paving in the back garden (did the front last year)
  • Fix/sort the watering system, as our old water timer broke, so may be a good time to get it working better
  • Get some more native plants growing at the back of the garden. We had a random fern spring up as a weed that @Becky really liked, so we're going to get some more native plants growing near the pond.
  • Get a patch ready for onion growing :D
  • Make the most of the sunshine when it's summer and have more BBQs :ROFLMAO:
Hi Ian,
Well like you i really like to keep moving and this year my list is to get two concrete bases made 1 for the second greenhouse i bought 4 yrs ago (I have one up and enjoy using it but due to doing the house up the second G/House has sat in the barn)
And the second concrete base is for a metal double door shed for the lawn mower's & other garden machines to be stored (they're in the garage and take up valued parking space, and like you ive pointing of flags around the pool area to do,

Ive been reading about tin smokers (for meat smoking etc) and i'd like to give that idea a go ) But i'll have to see how the time spreads out and the weather !!!!!! plus keep on doing the verious garden stuff,
It's not work to me " just love gardening and learning more & more about all the verious topics" Hence it's why ive joined a gardening forum hoping to meet via the www. other like minded folk.

Ask a Question