What's your favourite part of gardening?

Reaction score
What motivates you to garden? Is being outside in the sunshine, watching something grow or w
Harvesting your own vegetables.

I love to spend all day in the garden satisfied I sit back with a big bowl of snap peas, or a tomato sandwich. That's what keeps me out there.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
Poland
I just like spending time in my garden and taking care of plants, it's very relaxing for me. It makes me happy. I love when my roses are blooming because they look so beautiful and their scent is beautiful too. And I love my vegetables - harvesting is fun and so rewarding. There is nothing better that delicious tomatoes that I've grown on my own:D

Reaction score
Oh it is so relaxing to tend to your plants and see them grow. For me it is like seeing a miracle everyday. I just have to gaze at my garden and my heart fills with happiness. I have always loved plants and I can tell you there is nothing like picking fruits and vegetables from your own garden. The joy that fills my heart when I cut flowers for my living room and arrange them is second to none.

Reaction score
I love the first few weeks. When the plants are really small and just beginning to grow those first cute little leaves. They seems so fragile and tender, but then you give them what they need, and they grow to be strong plants. It's wonderful. I also like being able to go outside and spend hours gardening - but even more so, I like going outside and spending time near my garden, even when I'm not planting or grooming.

Reaction score
Gardening is serenity for me; it's my passion. I've not ventured into the vegetable garden arena, maybe one day. I absolutely love indoor gardening. Several years ago, I had several gardens in the back and front yard but moved from that particular home after my divorce. My largest garden in the back was surrounded by lights, a bug light or lantern hanging from a tree, there was also a garden in each corner of the fenced in back yard. One day I hope to either duplicate it or even surpass the beauty of that garden. I have done so inside, but haven't put the time and effort outside. Maybe 2013 will be my year for outdoor gardening.

Reaction score
My favorite aspect is to put all of your hard work into something and get a result. Yes, gardening may be hard work, but the results are delicious. It is also fun to see the sprouts begin to grown and watch until it matures enough so that you can eat it.

Reaction score
With the long winters in WI, it's so nice to have an excuse to spend a lot of time outside. Weeding is like therapy to me. I love everything about my garden. The weeding, hoeing, harvesting. Especially the harvesting. There's nothing like fresh veggies after a long winter of eating all those icky store veggies. I also like that vegetable gardening gets my children interested in eating vegetables. If they can help grow it, they like to help eat it.

Reaction score
Having a garden taught me a lot about being patient. I am professionally involved in IT work, so everything happens at a very fast pace. When I work in my garden, I cannot think in nano-seconds any more. I have to think in terms of months and years. I think that put back a lot of humanity in me.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United States
Gardening has always appealed to me. I love watching things grow, I love seeing my flowers in bloom, and I especially love seeing the ones on food plants turn into fruit. I love having fresh herbs to cook with... it's fun and gratifying and really good therapy.

Reaction score
Gardening has always appealed to me. I love watching things grow, I love seeing my flowers in bloom, and I especially love seeing the ones on food plants turn into fruit. I love having fresh herbs to cook with... it's fun and gratifying and really good therapy.

One of my favorite things in gardening is making cuttings and creating new plants. Roses are challenge but still fun trying to get the cuttings to root...then flower on their own. Last fall I made a cutting of a gardenia and I was happily surprised it made it through our unusually cold winter and actually made its first bud in April. Bud fell off before it could open, which I pretty much expected but the plant is getting bigger and I'm hoping maybe for more buds this year.

Reaction score
Seeing the whole process from start to finish is big for me as is the fresh produce that I gain all summer. It also gets me out of my head and just focused on whatever gardening task that may be at hand.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Country
United Kingdom
Seeing a plate of food, which started off as a few seeds in my hand, and remembering the whole process: preparing the soil (probably in the rain), sowing the seed, (again in the rain) spending hours in the rain keeping the plants weed-free, and finally harvesting, and knowing how fresh it is, and how little chemicals have been used.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
Poland
Seeing a plate of food is really wonderful, I couldn't agree more about it. Yesterday, I ate delicious strawberries from my garden. Today, I'm having a tomato sandwich. I couldn't be happier:) I'm very proud of myself:)

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Getting lost in random thoughts and enjoying fresh air are great things about gardening for me. I also like watching my plants grow and seeing their progress everyday. The nice part at the end is putting the flowers in vases and eating my small yield of crops.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United States
One of my favorite things in gardening is making cuttings and creating new plants. Roses are challenge but still fun trying to get the cuttings to root...then flower on their own. Last fall I made a cutting of a gardenia and I was happily surprised it made it through our unusually cold winter and actually made its first bud in April. Bud fell off before it could open, which I pretty much expected but the plant is getting bigger and I'm hoping maybe for more buds this year.

Ooooh, nice! Someone I knew in Mississippi had rooted gardenia in water and offered me some years ago. By the time I left to drive back home it was dark and I was concerned about making the drive back across the lake alone (first time) and I forgot my gardenia! I just acquired a potted one for garden #2 that has been growing and blooming beautifully!

I have some new cuttings from a member of the plant swap group in water right now that I am hoping will root. One of the cuttings is poet's jasmine, which I've discovered can be used for tea. Very excited and hopeful about that! I also love multiplying plants, but the cuttings don't always make it. I now have rooting powder, but I haven't tried it yet.

Ask a Question