What's your biggest frustration related to vegetable gardening?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United States
Hi All - I'm looking to start a garden blog and would like to help new gardeners be the best they can be! That said, what is your biggest frustration in vegetable gardening? Where do you go online right now to learn about vegetable gardening? What went wrong last year that you would like to be more successful with this year? Thanks so much for all your help!

zigs

Cactus Grower, Kent.
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
We go online here :D

Blight is my biggest, just looking forward to a good crop of tomatoes and it wipes the lot out in a few days :(

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Piedmont
Country
United States
Space...And neighbors tree's.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Country
United States
Peas! I try to grow peas each spring, and sometimes I'm successful, but most times not. Our weather is just too undependable.
Where do I go online to learn about vegetable gardening? Here, of course. I don't trust the sites that pay people to post about gardening techniques, vegetable varieties, etc. I prefer a site with real gardeners with dirt under their fingernails!
What went wrong last year? Early and constant rain, so I couldn't get into the gardens to weed and the grass took over. Mulch can do just so much before it gives up.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Country
United Kingdom
CATS! YUK!
Not that I blame the animals themselves; one shelters in my poly-tunnel when he's turfed out on cold and rainy days, and I don't mind.
The fault lies with irresponsible, selfish owners.

Zigs: I'd have thought yours was white rot.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
Echoing above... blight, and many large trees that limit the available sunlight for the vegetable garden.

MaryMary

Quite Contrary
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
My biggest frustration with vegetable gardening is too much rain. No, wait, not enough rain. No, no, it has to be too much rain. :confused: Rain. :(

And mosquitoes biting me every time I'm trying to plant or weed. :mad:

And bell peppers. I try every year, but I wind up with one pepper per plant. Sometimes, I don't even get that pepper, because they come on so late. :(

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Country
United States
MaryMary, when we lived in zone 6, upstate NY, we gave up on growing the big blocky bell peppers. We switched to a pepper called "Gypsy" which is pointed at the end and not as large as the CalWonder and its ilk, but has great flavor and pumps out peppers!
I had to start our own because Gypsy wasn't available commercially at that time. Here's a link that describes it well:
http://homeguides.sfgate.com/gypsy-pepper-plants-24329.html

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
I may look for an alternate pepper. I've had no luck at all. The bell peppers don't ripen enough to get meaty, and hot peppers produce well but don't really get hot. I'm thinking my climate just doesn't get enough sunny days for most peppers.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6B
Country
United States
Ants carrying away all my veg seeds, mostly amaranth seeds.(n)

I sow enough so, they leave some to germinate.;)

This. I just sat there in disbelief the first time I saw that happen.

Slugs and squash bugs were my mortal enemy last year. I'm completely armed and ready for them this year, so I'm sure something else will attack instead ;)

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6B
Country
United States
My biggest frustration with vegetable gardening is too much rain. No, wait, not enough rain. No, no, it has to be too much rain. :confused: Rain. :(

And mosquitoes biting me every time I'm trying to plant or weed. :mad:

And bell peppers. I try every year, but I wind up with one pepper per plant. Sometimes, I don't even get that pepper, because they come on so late. :(
I love this forum for this... I'm so relieved to see that I'm not the only one that has trouble with bell peppers. I planted three different types last year, and got one pepper per plant.
I'm trying a smaller snacking size sweet pepper this year to see if I have better luck with something producing smaller fruit.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Country
United Kingdom
MaryMary, when we lived in zone 6, upstate NY, we gave up on growing the big blocky bell peppers. We switched to a pepper called "Gypsy" which is pointed at the end and not as large as the CalWonder and its ilk, but has great flavor and pumps out peppers!
I had to start our own because Gypsy wasn't available commercially at that time. Here's a link that describes it well:
http://homeguides.sfgate.com/gypsy-pepper-plants-24329.html
These type peppers are called "ox-horn".
There are quite a few varieties, even black ones.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
3a
Country
Canada
Deer, solved deer and get bears, solved bears and get ground hogs, solved ground hogs and got root maggots and now have voles as well which are yet to be solved and deer still get to certain things.. :(

Ask a Question