What do you/did you do to earn your daily wage?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5A
Country
Canada
We have such a diverse crowd here that I was just wondering what everyone does, or did if retired now, to earn their daily bread.

I used to be a credit manager in the steel industry and a dozen or so years ago studied soft home furnishings (draperies and other home decor) and started my own little business.

How about you?

zigs

Cactus Grower, Kent.
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
Past 20 odd years i've been an Historic Buildings Conservator, working on many different buildings, churches, monuments etc.

This is a 18th century Granary before...

And after the Zigs got hold of it.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
Head custodian for a Long Island school dist. Before that I worked for KLM airlines, which I absolutely loved. Plan on retiring next year if the numbers work out.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
4b
Country
United States
Funny, I book gigs for the band my husband plays in, and I've heard that "I won't go on the road again" so many times :LOL:
It's hard to explain being on the road. It's just sometimes I'd rather be doing something else. (like gardening) And sometimes it feels like it's never going to end. Other times it just doesn't bother me. It's just a job sort of thing. :unsure:

btw- I graduated from a high school on Long Island.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Country
United States
I had several careers before retiring. First I taught high school, then I decided I'd rather restore antiques. After we moved I edited a local newspaper, then became a children's librarian. Of all the jobs, the librarian was the best. They actually PAID me to play with children, introduce them to the classic children's books, and see their minds expand. Wonderful!
Now I'm retired and garden and keep hens. I also help my husband the beekeeper with his hives.

Reaction score
I'm a translator and writer =D Right now I'm trying to find better job opportunities tho, not much to say about that. I might be doing something else next year tho, probably live translation. It's a fun and challenging job, you need to be always sharp and alert.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Country
United Kingdom
I was a primary school teacher (7 to 11 year age group). Spent my life doing Sport, which is what men teachers in Britain tend to get landed with, Eventually I came to hate it and was relieved when ill-health forced me to retire. Fortunately they were trying to get rid of older personnel at the time so they gave me extra service years so my pension was reasonable.

Pat

Reaction score
Country
United States
I work part time as an insuranc agent, retired a few years back worked as an accountant in several industries.

Reaction score
Country
United States
Always between jobs, being shuffled around, under-appreciated, no long-term longevity in any job I've ever done. The world just hates me - nobody gives someone with little to no pedigree a chance (Highschool Diploma, no college education due to family reasons) so I get snubbed at mostly any job interview. I've literally tried every job in this town, and the next town is 20 minutes away by highway and I have no car, and no friends in this town. I got kind of physically "stuck" with nothing to do.

I've been working online, attempting to piece together enough money (80 bucks since January 22nd so far) to pay rent to some people I've been 'renting' their couch from. I need to find more money or I see myself being homeless again in the next two months or so when I've worn out my welcome (and my low wages).

I just hope somewhere, sometime, I can get a better job helping someone else out. It's not about what you know, it's about WHO you know, I've came to realize. And I know nobody around here. It's like I'm trapped in a birdcage.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
I feel your pain. I was out of work for the better part of 2 1/2 years. Wound up having to sell most of my stuff in order to not lose my house. I'll keep my fingers crossed for you Shane.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
Been in and out of retail and jobs- ironically related to the book industry and antiquities for a long time. Currently trying to run something of my own and see if it takes off.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Always between jobs, being shuffled around, under-appreciated, no long-term longevity in any job I've ever done. The world just hates me - nobody gives someone with little to no pedigree a chance (Highschool Diploma, no college education due to family reasons) so I get snubbed at mostly any job interview. I've literally tried every job in this town, and the next town is 20 minutes away by highway and I have no car, and no friends in this town. I got kind of physically "stuck" with nothing to do.

I've been working online, attempting to piece together enough money (80 bucks since January 22nd so far) to pay rent to some people I've been 'renting' their couch from. I need to find more money or I see myself being homeless again in the next two months or so when I've worn out my welcome (and my low wages).

I just hope somewhere, sometime, I can get a better job helping someone else out. It's not about what you know, it's about WHO you know, I've came to realize. And I know nobody around here. It's like I'm trapped in a birdcage.
So sorry to hear this, and I hope someway somehow you can earn more online so don't have to be homeless. It is harder to earn online nowadays, and many of them are not paying after you worked so hard for it.

Something good has to happen, right? I really hope so for many of us.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a

Wow that's tough !
You need too pick your self up , and just work hard.

Some times I wish I finished high school too , but making money was more important at the time
I started my plumbing business 25 years ago and never looked back

Last edited:

Ask a Question