Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United Kingdom
A day of rain and it isn't so cold.

upload_2018-4-30_7-4-49.png

I used to moan a lot. But now, I just laugh - no point not doing anything and moan. A very depressing presence and it's not fair on others.

alp

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United Kingdom
A wood burner in your workshop? You've so much wood. Might be a good idea. Or insulating it with Kingspans to keep the bill down. That way, you could stay warm and snug when the weather is foul outside. Or a E7 storage heater. I am sure you can get a grant with Bron's conditions. Ask as there is no harm in asking. We are all here to better ourselves and not to change your lives. Storage heat is very homogenous and keeps the place evening warm during daytime just when you're busy in it.

Colin

Retired.
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

Thanks once again everyone for not only your welcome ideas and suggestions but more importantly your concern and friendliness.

It is indeed a very difficult decision to make; I asked Bron yesterday if she would like to move but no; Bron says better the devil you know; we've put roots down here and if we move ending up with more unpleasant neighbours then do we continue moving; they do say a change is as good as a rest but after 30 years of hard graft we've finally got our bungalow in top condition and now I'm attacking the mountain. I'm well set up in the fully equipped workshop but I am seriously looking into the workshop heating problem. I removed the workshop strip lights and installed 5 2'x2' square LED panels but even these aren't good enough so I'm looking at low voltage lighting for my lathes.

The best way to heat the workshop is a central heating radiator and for the size I need around £90 on eBay plus fitting so it's not going to bankrupt me; the idea of a woodburner is excellent alp but we see our neighbours with woodburners and they seem to be forever foraging for logs; given the amount of sawdust and shavings in my workshop the woodburner might be an hazard due to fire risk then I'd surely be warm enough? An electric storage heater would work. I spent an hour looking at assorted heaters on the web yesterday; most have mixed reviews and for my needs the CH radiator appears best choice if I can fit one in; my workshop is crammed a warehouse would be better.

We've had neighbours move and go into luxury apartments where everything was looked after for them; they are no longer with us having passed away quickly.

I've spent days looking at bungalows and at one point we considered moving to Cottingham; Hull because our best friends live there and Cottingham does appeal to us; we also considered Lincolnshire it being flat with some very good bungalows until we saw a TV series showing a dump of a place. Nowhere is perfect but I think at the moment we need to resolve problems we can do something about; our bad neighbours next door now leave us alone after police intervention; we wouldn't move just because of them after all we've endured them for 30 years.

The weather is dire but yesterday with the usual rain forecast it didn't rain at all and it was absolutely wonderful to get outside without receiving a soaking; perhaps we'll have a summer this year because it's been cancelled for the last few years.

Bron has just come to me as I type and she says she felt very unsettled because our very good neighbours just along the street are moving but she added why should we move; we don't burgle; we don't push drugs; we don't do beatings and we don't have police against us; we've done absolutely nothing wrong so rather than be soft stand up to the ones causing us trouble; this we've done by involving the police due to our bad neighbours and now they know not to push us around any longer. Bron went on to say she doesn't want to start over in another bungalow after all the problems we've had to sort out here.

Our lovely neighbour Carole next door moved here about four years ago and she said she had a terrible time trying to find a true bungalow in a decent location; Carole has spent around £50,000 sorting her bungalow out; it looked decent enough but our previous neighbours preferred playing golf rather than maintaining their bungalow. The other man's grass is greener until you're walking on it?

Only one supermarket to visit so I was home by 7:30 this morning and I'm about to take Bron over to The Range in Barnsley to buy crafting materials; we're going to start thinking of ourselves more and lift this cloud of doom and gloom which hangs over us. We'll focus now on what is good and build on it. We don't wish ill of our nasty neighbour but now he's aged 82 he's got failing health and has suffered a number of heart attacks and continues his daily world war three with his wife so let's hang on a bit longer it might suddenly turn in our favour without us having to do anything? Sorry if I sound cruel or blunt because it's not meant in such a manner; Bron and I would help them in an emergency as we would anyone. What goes around comes around and we've always been very polite and kind.

Gotta go I'm taking my Bron for a bit of retail therapy; I feel much happier today even if its forecast rain and it was a scorching 4.5C when I set off early this morning.

Now what's all this about gardening? :D:D:D

Kind regards, Colin.

Colin

Retired.
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

Many thanks Upsy & Logan for your best wishes; very decent of you both. (y):)

It's so cold today I don't feel like doing much but after dinner I think I'll head into the workshop and do a bit of measuring hoping to install a big central heating radiator; I'd much rather be burnt than frozen. :)

How strange it didn't rain yesterday and so far no rain today; Blackie must feel ill but his sister Gale sure is cold.

I recently bought a good quality pyrography kit and although I've not yet used it Bron loves using it to the point I've also now bought Bron a cheap kit but with lots of assorted tips so now Bron has two kits to choose from; at the moment Bron uses the kits in the kitchen but this morning we've decided to turn one of our rear extension rooms into a studio for Bron then she can leave both kits out ready for action; there's a central heating radiator in there and I'll clear the room of items no longer needed; Bron taken care of. I'm looking at heating the workshop and installing dedicated low voltage lighting where needed to supplement the overhead LED panel lights. We've decided to stay here in our bungalow and make the most of our lives rather than moving and starting all over again; we've just reached the stage when we can settle down and enjoy our respective hobbies; if summer comes it comes if not we'll be busy anyway; everything has come to a head; we're now shutting out people who aren't happy for us and we're also changing our wills; we are always kind and polite to others so expect the same by way of return. I'm considering starting a new craze; instead of "Santa please stop here" I'm more interested in "Global warming please stop here" do you think I'm onto a winner? :D

Kind regards, Colin.

alp

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United Kingdom
Lovely day here

upload_2018-5-1_6-49-32.png

A decent day to look forward to. No moaning from me for today! Do like a good old moan from time to time - if I drag your mood down, do let me know. I am only human!:D

Incidentally, we are all very decent forumers here! If we saw someone down, we would like to offer suggestions.. to help, to cheer up .. I must confess I don't know a lot .. But today, it is certainly a day to look forward to. Not a cloud in my sky .. and don't want any ..

:cool::cool::cool::LOL::LOL::LOL:

Last edited:

Logan

Logan
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
1a
Country
United Kingdom
Incidentally, we are all very decent forumers here! If we saw someone down, we would like to offer suggestions.. to help, to cheer up .. I must confess I don't know a lot .. But today, it is certainly a day to look forward to. Not a cloud in my sky .. and don't want any ..

:D:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:
Clear sky here, but it will change.

Ask a Question