Weather

Colin

Retired.
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I don't know how you stand it Silentrunning; it must be really tough. (y)

Monday here is between 4C & 6C with heavy Blackie but not too bad because at least its just above freezing. :)

Kind regards, Colin.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
It has been drizzling all day but it didn't stop me working in the garden (y) We keep our house nice and warm so it's easy to warm up after coming in from the cold. Most of the machinery in our house is old - just like us. :D

We're on our third TV in 53 years of marriage, second tumble dryer, third cooker, second dishwasher (bought this year) and took the last of the gas lights out of the house ten years ago.

Colin

Retired.
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

Doesn't it make you feel sick! There we are, shivering whilst someone is sunning himself in 25c! Topping up the suntan as well!

I feel sick the year round alp; my suntan is rust and it gets topped up most days by Blackie. :mad:

The heating is seldom turned off and to add insult to injury British Gas has just increased the price of gas. A day at 25C here woulds see my skin resemble a dried up river bed. We love our home but we detest our climate.

Kind regards, Colin.

alp

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United Kingdom
I feel sick the year round alp; my suntan is rust and it gets topped up most days by Blackie. :mad:

The heating is seldom turned off and to add insult to injury British Gas has just increased the price of gas.

LOL! Intelligent men like you paying BG??? Logan and I are with Zog Energy. I only paid £16 a month plus a bit of top up because of the freaky weather. Wake up, @Colin They won't rip you off just because they are not the big4. Electricity, I am with Ebico. Oh, come on, Colin - stop patronising the highwaymen!

alp

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United Kingdom
upload_2018-4-29_6-17-28.png

Colin

Retired.
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

Many thanks alp for your suggestions. (y):) Over the years we've seen people change suppliers and regret it; it never made any sense to me to break up our national gas supposably to bring in competition to keep prices low; now we have electric companies selling gas cheaper than gas companies and gas companies selling electric cheaper than an electric company; surely one big supplier each should have the clout to ensure best prices by buying bulk for us all; I'm old fashioned and now think the world to be absolutely stupid.

We were up by 7 o'clock this morning; by 8:35 I had the remaining two big composting bins emptied and the contents loaded into the Yeti giving a full load; the garden as usual was wet with diamonds glistening on the grass; I was wrapped up in my heavy clothes against the 5.5C. At the tip I was #7 in the queue awaiting the gates to open at 9 o'clock; by 9:06 I was on my way home. I'm having a brew and a bickie then I'll clean the Yeti inside and out before tackling the area where the composting bins had been located assuming of course Blackie doesn't spot me and try to drown me as he very much enjoys doing. The sun was shining and I passed lots of cyclists on the tip visit; a beautiful morning but as I type it's becoming darker.

Being retired is hard graft.

Kind regards, Colin.

Colin

Retired.
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

@Colin I'm a bit puzzled. Are you saying that you took the contents of your composting bins down the tip?

Yes I did Bootsy. The contents went into the green skip at the tip to be composted by the council.

With the amount of rain and wind we suffer here on the valley side I wish I had never bought the bins; this morning has been rare sunshine and so far I've not been watered by Blackie; on Friday I was so fed up of all the rain I was up the mountain planting four Aubretia in pouring rain getting yet another soaking; I got a soaking just visiting the garden centre to buy the Aubretia so in order to plant four Aubretia I suffered two soakings; I'm absolutely sick of this dire climate; when I filled the compost bins I had to place large stones on their lid in order to keep the lid on also because of the cone shape the bins were lifting from the ground being buffeted by the wind; this terrible climate torments me on a daily basis. Everything as usual was soaking wet outside this morning. I've just rushed around to wash the Yeti and clean it out because no doubt it will rain again shortly and the birds will do their bombing runs now the Yeti is clean and dry for a couple of minutes; it drives me to despair living here on the valley side but all around us it is very hilly; the only reason we endure it is because it's our home. Our antisocial neighbour has just lit another fire in her garden; it's bad enough them being burglars and druggies etc.

All I want from retirement is peace to go about my hobbies and jobs around home; I'm no trouble to anyone; the climate is forever against me soaking me many times even whilst I just go into the workshop; if I sit at the computer charity bags drop on the mat at my feet; because we live in a good area we are constantly pestered by tradespeople or people in general at our door all wanting something from us; the first days sunshine and we had Jehovah Witnesses pestering us; I'm not into religion or politics at all. I don't want to buy wet fish or resin drives; I don't want pestering to sign a petition because houses are to be built the person doing the pestering I presume lives up a tree or in a cave otherwise it's a case of I've got my house that was built in a green field but no one else can build near me? We were pestered with a petition about erection of a mobile phone mast; we didn't have a mobile phone but the pesterer had; why are people so self centred and selfish these days. It just goes on and on without let up.

Sorry for the moan but anyone thinking I'm kidding please enjoy an holiday in Huddersfield for a week?

Kind regards, Colin.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
Colin , honestly you only have one go at this life and that means doing whatever you can to enjoy it. As you and Bron are retired and have ( as far as I know) no real family ties then I really can't understand why you both don't move, if living there is so awful for you both!

I keep saying to hubs that I would like to move down to Cornwall/ Devon ,but I know we couldn't in reality because of our family ties , my elderly father and my disabled brother......but what is stopping you.....a new and exciting chapter in your lives is out there waiting for you both!! Go for it!!:)(y)

Last edited:
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
I believe that a home is what you make it.... I originally come from Blackpool ,but the family gradually moved back down south ...stopping off in Nottingham, where my brother was born.
To me its the lifestyles, opportunities and friendships that make a home.....and your lifestyle is seemingly weather based........and you definitely don't have good weather , do you:(

Last edited:
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
I definitely agree with Upsy (y) You do seem to hate the weather, the area, the people around you and just love Bron and your house.

It seems a simple solution to move somewhere else where the weather is a lot better than where you are now. You can make almost any house your 'home' by having the two of you living in it and making it just as you like it. You certainly seem able to do DIY to make it your own so why not take the plunge and change your life for the better?

upload_2018-4-29_12-38-24.jpeg

images

Ask a Question