Weather

Logan

Logan
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
1a
Country
United Kingdom
I slept on the computer table and I am feeling better now. The milk has gone off. It's raining outside. Good for my seeds. Will scatter some more. Make hay whilst the sun is shining. Son is checking the water level in the butts. First thing he does after he gets up.
That's ok then. Yes raining here as well. Your son does that every morning? Your seeds should do well.
Don't mind about rain, got to make some marmalade.

alp

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United Kingdom
That's ok then. Yes raining here as well. Your son does that every morning? Your seeds should do well.
Don't mind about rain, got to make some marmalade.

Whenever it rains.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
High of 11C and a low of 8......heavy rain and breezy....nice dayfor ducks then(y)

But not for getting the laundry dry :(:cry:

Logan

Logan
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
1a
Country
United Kingdom
I hang mine in the garage and open both doors.
Takes a few days to dry, but I have to get it in at evening so hubby can put the car away.

Colin

Retired.
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I hang mine in the garage and open both doors.
Takes a few days to dry, but I have to get it in at evening so hubby can put the car away.

Our washing line became redundant many years ago because it could seldom be used; the tumble dryer dries all our clothes and is used the year round in fact it's running now. (y)

We have an electric underblanket that also gets used most of the year; when really cold it can be left on all night on the night setting (two heat choices).

No more trying to dry clothes outside or feel frozen in bed of a night. :)

As usual it's a black wet hole and when I set off to the supermarkets at 7:15 this morning the car was reading 5.5C; the forecast was for 3C and I expected having to clear frost from the car so I was pleased for once the forecasters got it wrong.

Kind regards, Colin.

Logan

Logan
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
1a
Country
United Kingdom
the tumble dryer dries all our clothes and is used the year round in fact it's running now. (y)
We've got a tumble dryer, but only use it to dry my trousers after getting wet walking the boys.
Can't afford to us it all the time. But I do sneakily finnish clothes off. Or put them on the hot water tank.

I think we've got Blackie as well, been raining all day and getting worse. Just got soaked walking berry:(, all the joys of having dogs.:)

Colin

Retired.
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

Blackie is resident here Logan; we've just returned from the hairdressers and Bron had to put her coat hood up due to Blackie putting lots of heavy rain down which the forecasters today describe as "light rain".

We bought our current tumble drier 18 years ago and from getting it home it was noisy; it became increasingly worse so having retired a year later I dragged the drier down to the workshop; by now it was banging loudly as it changed tumble direction. I completely stripped it pulling the drum out to find out why it was banging so much; the rear drum bearing was flopping around the cheap rivets having broken loose; the motor fan was causing the noise it being broken at its mounting on the motor shaft and this fan was banging against the fan casing; I used machine screws washers and nuts to secure the bearing housing taking care of that; the plastic fan however was more of a problem; I had a few motor fans to hand but not of the correct bore; I stripped the rotor out of the motor and mounted the rotor into my big Colchester metal lathe and reduced the shaft diameter to suit a fan I had; this time the fan was properly secured; the drier had other smaller faults which I fully sorted. It's a White Knight brand. Whilst working I was already stressed out and couldn't be bothered with the drier even though it was under warranty but this was first repair job when I retired.

Since the repairs were carried out all I've ever done is to replace the motor 8uF capacitor each time it expires; I bought 250 of these capacitors as a job lot so I'm stocked up with them; the drier is used just about every day. We've not had a days holiday away from home for the last 40 years; we love being home and spend our money making our home and lives more comfortable. (y):)

I feel saddened by the way British engineering has gone; no longer are things made up to an high British Standard these days they are made down to a low price often failing just out of warranty. We no longer repair things like washing machines; fridges; kettles and toasters; when they fail they get replaced by new; it doesn't make sense to pay a £35 call out charge to have an £100 circuit board installed to a washing machine when a brand new Beko washing machine can be bought for around £200; £100 for a washing machine circuit board is simply a rip off. :(
This of course is the modern way to save the planet?

I wish Blackie would fail because he's well out of warranty?

Kind regards, Colin.

Logan

Logan
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
1a
Country
United Kingdom
@Colin your so clever how you do things.:)
We've had our dryer for a long time, we bought it when we started having the boys, about 20years. It's a Creda Easy Load Condenser Automatic Eco Dryer. I shouldn't say this but had no problem with it. Our last washing machine we did have a few things replaced, but when the bearings had gone, so had to have a new one. This one it fills up with cold water and can't change it.

Blackie has gone now, could have been his sister.

Colin

Retired.
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

Thanks Logan; Creda are a good make having been around forever. (y):)

Our dryer isn't a condensing type I vented it through the kitchen wall. We've bought cheap and more expensive washing machines over the years but it beats me why the controls are designed by NASA; we only use a few programs and the rest are simply more complications to go wrong. It must be around six years ago we bought the cheap Beko washing machine; a friend told us Beko washing machines are hired out to those on small income or benefits and as such the hire companies wanted a basic machine that would last without breaking down; we then bought the Beko costing under £200 and when it does break down we'll dump it and buy another cheap Beko; our Beko too is cold fill only so one less pipe to go wrong.

Given our climate I reckon we should hang the washing out and throw a bar of soap at it telling it to get on with it; what's amusing is that we suffer all this rainfall the year round but pay a lot of money to have water pumped through our floor to the taps?

Kind regards, Colin.

Logan

Logan
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
1a
Country
United Kingdom
Thanks Colin
Have to have the dryer upstairs so thought that it would be better to have a condenser.:)

I don't want a lot of programmes on my washing machine, I just have the different temperatures for different types of clothes.:)
Liked it with 2 water pipes save on the electric.

My cooker is a belling and 30 years old,had replacement parts over the last 5. The latch on the oven door, the seal on the oven door. Hubby did those. One of the rings don't work, he got a replacement but can't fit it, because need one of those screwdrivers that goes around corners. But I can manage with 3 rings, really i only use 2.
But it still goes that's the main thing.:)

They have to process the water so that we can drink it.

alp

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United Kingdom
Real temperature is like 8c max :cry:

Not going to turn on the heater now.

Logan

Logan
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
1a
Country
United Kingdom
The central heating came on for a bit this morning, but probably won't this afternoon, still got the fire on.

It's supposed to get up to 18c by the end of
next week.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7b
Country
United States
85EAEDE8-CFF5-4700-B479-F349C22F5C27.jpeg
This is how we are suffering on vacation in Florida. 78 degrees F.

Ask a Question