Seedlings

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
Did these really just dry out on me? I just watered the whole tray this morning. I can see missing one or two, but no way I missed that many. It was a nice sunny day so I set them out instead of under the light, maybe that was a mistake? Kind of stinks losing so many when they all seem to be doing so well that morning. They did seem dry, I watered the whole tray again. Hopefully the rest are fine.

20170401_170851.jpg

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
4b
Country
Canada
Your seedlings can't take full sun. You have to gradually get them use to direct sun, 10 minutes the first few days then 15min working your way up. In about 2 weeks they can take the whole day out side.
I would wait for them to grow some before starting that process, they look like they haven't been up long.

JBtheExplorer

Native Gardener
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
Yep, it's the sun. They can't go from indoor light to outdoor light that fast. As johnny canoe said, you have to start with a short amount of time and work your way up little by little. I usually start with 30 minutes, then I usually try to add 10-15 minutes each day for about two weeks. If it's cloudy I may leave them out slightly longer. Once you get the hang of it you can pretty much judge how long they can be out.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
Strange though, this is not the first time I have left them out. Lesson learned I suppose.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
USDA Zone 11
Country
Mexico
In addition to the above, is this the first time you have used peat pots? They seem to suck all the moisture out of the soil and leave your seedlings too dry too soon. At least that was my experience with them, my first and last. I am sure your seedlings will appreciate the natural light, but you do have intensive sun. I always grow my seedlings outside, but under a shade screen and they do very well. They don't get leggy wanting more sun. Once they have a sufficient root system, i can transplant the sun lovers to full sun and give them a few inches of mulch to keep the roots cool.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
USDA 10a - Sunset 22
Country
United States
I agree with Beverly, peat pots will steal moisture. I typically don't care for them myself. I also looks like you used those expanding pellets for soil also?

As far as containers what ever you find works for you is good, I prefer 10 x 20 72's and or 4" pots. But for seed starting soil I recommend a good potting mix sifted to remove the big parts and a little additional perlite mixed in.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
Zone 5
Country
Canada
Peat pots are usually a disaster. They evaporate moisture from the soil. If you use them surround the pots with soil hence no evaporation surface. Next year use plastic cups with holes burned in the bottom for drainage. Here is my method.

Making Seedling Pots
Posted on February 13, 2012 by Durgan
http://www.durgan.org/URL/?AJKVK 13 February 2012 Making Seedling Pots

Seedling pots are made from a plastic cup. Four drainage holes are burned with a soldering iron into the sides of the cup, leaving a small reservoir for water. A coffee filter is placed in the pot to stop soil from falling out of the drainage holes, and the filter contains the soil and roots, which is an aid when transplanting.
13%20february%202012%20seed%20planting%20010_std.jpg

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
USDA Zone 11
Country
Mexico
This sounds good, if you have a soldering iron and coffee filters handy, although i don't understand where the "small reservoir for water" is, but that is probably just me.:rolleyes: If you do use plastic cups, i suggest the use of opaque cups (as Durgan illustrates here) rather than clear cups, so the roots are not exposed to the light.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
Zone 5
Country
Canada
"small reservoir for water" The drain holes are on the surface of the container, not in the bottom as is the convention. The space between the drain holes and the bottom creates a small area for water that doesn't drain away.

Soldering irons are sold in most hardware stores for around ten dollars and they last forever.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
Zone 5
Country
Canada
I might add smaller plastic cups were tried, but it was found that they dried out too quickly so the larger cups were chosen.

I also germinate most of my seeds under a damp paper towel then transplant using forceps into the soil of the pots.

Ask a Question