Leggy cauliflower and cabbage seedlings

Reaction score
Country
United States
Im new at growing plants (winter) from seeds. I followed a youtube suggestion but i'm not doing so good. My seedling are in a "leggy" stage. My question is once the plants become 3" + leggy can they be saved or shoud i start over ? These seedling grew out of the geound(potting pan) overnight to 1" and I placed them under a light but they never stipped growing leggy..ANY SUGGESTIONS

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
I have never had any luck growing seedlings under artificial light, probably because I don't have the correct lights. Put them in sunshine.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
What type of seedlings and artificial light? How much light per day? What soil? I have had great success growing nightshades indoors with T4 lights but my brassicas dampen off or wilt every time because it’s too warm inside. Depends on what you’re doing. Show some pictures to determine salvageability.

Gardening Girl

This is my garden several years back.
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Agree, this depends on the types of light you are using and the conditions. One thing with fluorescent lighting is that you need to have them very close to the plants or they will get leggy. I am talking about maybe 3" or 4" from the tops of the plants. Really, just so they are not touching.

Reaction score
Country
United States
thx for ur advice. I've given up for now, I'll try next season. For the comment of puttting them in direct sun light.... I tried a few plants (20) that were a little leggy (well watered) and in 3-4 hrs they were "cooked"/dead. I'll have to do more research

Reaction score
Country
United States
I live in S Louisiana and it gets really hot & humid but in order to put plants in the ground in late Sept I need to start now.

Ask a Question