Seedlings

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
USDA Zone 11
Country
Mexico
No i don't think you are missing anything. It would be better to grow outside with shade screen and bring them in during a thunderstorm, but that is too risky unless you stay home all day every day and never sleep which is not realistic:rolleyes:. So, i understand the need for grow lights. Still you might want to think about rigging something up for the future. Come to think of it, i have the same problem with rain storms. I raise seedlings on the patio that has a shade screen structure over head, but i bring them inside when i leave the house and also overnight. I have good light in the house though so they hardly know the difference and i also don't grow large amounts of seedlings at one time and that makes a difference too. I saw a nifty little structure once that had 3 walls of 3 bricks high and and one wall of 2 bricks high, then a glass window top that went up and down with hinges. I liked that, but never made one. It would take care of the rain though, and when it wasn't raining the top could be left open

Last edited:
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
No i don't think you are missing anything. It would be better to grow outside with shade screen and bring them in during a thunderstorm, but that is too risky unless you stay home all day every day and never sleep which is not realistic:rolleyes:. So, i understand the need for grow lights. Still you might want to think about rigging something up for the future.

Ya, agreed. Just not realistic. wife and I both work full time and have an infant and a toddler (well I guess the little one is technically a toddler now, too fast :( and I guess the toddler really isn't a toddler anymore o_O) With our storms here in the spring, your right its just too risky. Id like to get them outside as soon as possible though. When is a good size to do that? A few will be potted for indoors too.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Country
United States
As someone else above said, the seedlings need to be hardened off over time to the outdoors. It would also help to use peat moss when you plant them.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Country
United Kingdom
well, as noted earlier, the peat tends to dry out rather quickly. They seem to need water every few days. I wait until the surrounding soil is dry to the touch. But every 2 to 3 days is pretty close.
They shouldn't need watering that often.
Do you have any conventional plant pots, into which you could your peat pots?
I'm afraid I really don't rate them, at least not on their own.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
They shouldn't need watering that often.
Do you have any conventional plant pots, into which you could your peat pots?
I'm afraid I really don't rate them, at least not on their own.
I think part of the problem there is I used the really small pots for most of them. They don't hold much soil beyond the peat pod, so not much water either.

Ask a Question