Tomato seedlings wilting three weeks after trans plant.

Reaction score
Country
United States
I transplanted my seedlings into Miracle Gro potting mix. After three weeks the tomato plants started to wilt like the attached picture. I am not sure what is cause the wilting. I kept them under shop lights for about 12 to 18 hours a day. Any help figuring out what is causing this would be much appreciated.

Attachments

• 20180402_194424.jpg
    20180402_194424.jpg
    133.5 KB · Views: 305

alp

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United Kingdom
Don't think the ciggie smoke helps! LOL! Only joking. That's a small pot for a transplanted plant! Hope someone gives you some USEFUL advice!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Have to agree with alp.....that is a SMALL pot for that size plant. Don't think that a "shop light" gives the spectrums of light that plants, this size, requires, either. Looks like this one is just about at the point of no return.

Reaction score
Country
United States
Thank you all for your advice. I appreciate it.
What if I try to transplant them again in a different soil?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Zone 8b
Country
United States
I've used Miracle Gro potting soil and have had no issues with it. We've put tomatoes in it as well and they didn't wilt. While my personal favorite potting soil is Black Gold I kind of think that, for the most part, potting soil is potting soil.

Insufficient drainage could be an issue. If you're going to re-transplant the tomatoes perhaps you could pull out one of them first and see if it is pot bound. If so then you need a bigger pot. If not then I would look at drainage.

It could be that the shop lights aren't providing enough light to keep the plant growing. They might have been fine when it was small but now there isn't enough for a larger plant.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a/7b
Country
United States
I don't think it's the size of the pot or the soil. I transplanted my tomato seedlings into solo cups, with miracle grow soil, and they're 3x larger than your plant and thriving. I'm going to guess you're either overwatering (no drain holes?), underwatering, or your shop light isn't the right spectrum.

IMG_8032[1].JPG

Ask a Question