How are these tomato seedlings looking ? What to do next ?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United States
Hi,
I'm planting seedlings for the first time (super noob). Could you please take a look at these tomato seedling pictures and give feedback ?

For pictures starting with 1 and 2 - what to do next, should I keep what looks like the strongest and snip off the rest of the seedlings in the pot or just let all of them grow ? These are 3-4 weeks old currently. They will all be planted in the ground at 6 weeks after hardening off.

For pictures starting with 3 and 4 - Are these too leggy or are they ok ? Will they make it eventually ? Should I bother with them or just start off afresh. I think maybe I didnt get them enough light when they were starting off. I got a couple of grow lights working on them now.

For the picture starting with 5 - How are these looking ? Are these already too leggy ?

I saw seedlings in home depot yesterday and their stems were quite short and stocky compared to mine, though they were a bit older plants.

Should I bother with the leggy ones or just throw them away and start all over again ? Is it too late to start tomato seedlings now ? I'm in zone 10a. 1 - what to do.jpg 2 - snip or leave 2.jpg 2 - snip or leave.jpg 3 - are they too leggy .jpg 3 - is it leggy .jpg 4 - will this survive .jpg 5 - how are these looking 2 .jpg 5 - how are these looking.jpg

Thanks for your attention.

Norm

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Hi,
I'm planting seedlings for the first time (super noob). Could you please take a look at these tomato seedling pictures and give feedback ?

For pictures starting with 1 and 2 - what to do next, should I keep what looks like the strongest and snip off the rest of the seedlings in the pot or just let all of them grow ? These are 3-4 weeks old currently. They will all be planted in the ground at 6 weeks after hardening off.

For pictures starting with 3 and 4 - Are these too leggy or are they ok ? Will they make it eventually ? Should I bother with them or just start off afresh. I think maybe I didnt get them enough light when they were starting off. I got a couple of grow lights working on them now.

For the picture starting with 5 - How are these looking ? Are these already too leggy ?

I saw seedlings in home depot yesterday and their stems were quite short and stocky compared to mine, though they were a bit older plants.

Should I bother with the leggy ones or just throw them away and start all over again ? Is it too late to start tomato seedlings now ? I'm in zone 10a.View attachment 17198 View attachment 17199 View attachment 17200 View attachment 17201 View attachment 17202 View attachment 17203 View attachment 17204 View attachment 17205

Thanks for your attention.

Norm
In every picture the plants are leggy. They need much more light. But in any case you should snip off the weakest looking of the plants

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United States
Hi Chuck,
Thanks for the reply.
I've added another grow light. Will they survive from here when I do plant them ? Or should I start all over ? Is it too late to start ?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Hi Chuck,
Thanks for the reply.
I've added another grow light. Will they survive from here when I do plant them ? Or should I start all over ? Is it too late to start ?
They will probably be OK if you separate them and give them much more light. When you put them into the garden plant them deep, up to almost where the leaves start. To be on the safe side though I would start some more

MaryMary

Quite Contrary
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
One thing you can do to thicken up the stalks is to put a small fan on them. (Better if you have one that oscillates!) You just want to make them wave a little - try to simulate a gentle breeze. The plant will thicken its stalk in reaction to the "wind," and slow down its upward growth while it redirects cells to the stalks.(y) Exposing them to breezes is part of the reason they need hardened off. ;)

Good luck!!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United States

zigs

Cactus Grower, Kent.
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
Us gardeners without fans brush our hands over the plants for the same effect.

Don't do that if you smoke tobacco though, tomato/tobacco mosaic virus
1yikestkt.gif

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
Zone 5
Country
Canada
Hi Mary, thanks for your reply. Should the fan be on all the time or some of the time like an hour a day ?

I really hope the tomatoes I get are worth all this effort (and cost). Meanwhile I'll get a new set started per Chuck's recommendation above. I'll use the method in this link for the next set - https://www.gardening-forums.com/threads/23-february-2017-starting-tomato-seeds-black-krim.10663/

A caveat about fiber pots. The walls draw moisture from the soil and the middle of the pot is often dry. Also the walls are too thick and roots seldom grow through them adequately if planted as is outdoors.. If you use them it is best to put in a larger plastic pot and surround with soil.That way the walls stay damp. But in general do not use them. They are JUNK.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
A caveat about fiber pots. The walls draw moisture from the soil and the middle of the pot is often dry. Also the walls are too thick and roots seldom grow through them adequately if planted as is outdoors.. If you use them it is best to put in a larger plastic pot and surround with soil.That way the walls stay damp. But in general do not use them. They are JUNK.
I agree, they are junk. I have purchased plants that are in them and when I try to remove the plant from the pot it severely damages the roots. So I am stuck with planting the plant while still in the pot. Many times the roots only partially grow through the walls. I have actually dug up peat pots the following year, still in good condition so I don't believe that they disintegrate as claimed. I hear that the pots made with manure are a lot better but they are too expensive. My next project is to make my own manure pots but until then plastic is best IMO.

MaryMary

Quite Contrary
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
Should the fan be on all the time or some of the time like an hour a day ?
If the fan oscillates, two hrs a day ought to be good. I start mine on a windowsill - there's room for the fan, but not for it to oscillate. I turn mine on one hour one direction, then move it. Another hour the other. (More wouldn't hurt.)

If you don't have a fan, don't go buy one! Just do as @zigs said, brush them with your hands a bit. But you'll want to do that several times a day.

I've never used fiber pots, but the peat pots do not disintegrate.

@Chuck, it's probably too late in your season to do this, but newspaper pots would disintegrate. I know you plant on a large scale, but maybe next year? It's something you could do over your one month of winter. :cautious: :LOL: (I'm going to do this, but I think I'll tear a couple slits down the side just before planting. Just to help the roots get out.:unsure: )

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United States
I agree, they are junk. I have purchased plants that are in them and when I try to remove the plant from the pot it severely damages the roots. So I am stuck with planting the plant while still in the pot. Many times the roots only partially grow through the walls. I have actually dug up peat pots the following year, still in good condition so I don't believe that they disintegrate as claimed. I hear that the pots made with manure are a lot better but they are too expensive. My next project is to make my own manure pots but until then plastic is best IMO.

I'll just cut them along one side with a scissor and unwrap them before planting.
Thanks for the tip though! I would've learnt the hard way.

Ask a Question