Yellowing Sunflower Seedlings? Help ASAP!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
Hi! I’m new to this forum, but I have a very important question concerning my 8 Sunspot Sunflowers. I planted them on March 1 (about) and they have been doing pretty good. They were a great green, they got as much sun as possible, and they were growing at a great rate. The sunflowers then grew the other layer of leaves (I’m a noob, don’t expect me to know what that is called) and the lower leaves starting growing yellow and fell off because they have done their job. This was all normal. 2 days ago, they were turning a bit yellow. Today, they are extremely yellow and are losing some leaves. They are a bit wrinkly looking. The soil and water amounts are good, and the drainage system is fine, too. I think they are not getting enough sunlight. Can I do anything possible to give them more sunlight? It was supposed to be a nice spring because of global warming, but that’s conpletely the opposite, I got to do something! Is their some way I can save these 8 flowers (two in each pot) because I’ll feel dead guilty if they die. I’m doing it for a school project, and I’m getting more attached to these beauties. I’ll probably get a bad grade if they die, but I don’t care about that. I mostly care that these don’t die. If they do die, itll be all my fault and I’ll never forgive myself. Please answer ASAP! What can I do to help? Is it possible to help?! If you need them, I will post the pictures of the before sunflowers and the after sunflowers (they are still seedlings). Thanks so much, please help!

Last edited:
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7b
Country
United States
Hi! I’m new to this forum, but I have a very important question concerning my 8 Sunspot Sunflowers. I planted them on March 1 (about) and they have been doing pretty good. They were a great green, they got as much sun as possible, and they were growing at a great rate. The sunflowers then grew the other layer of leaves (I’m a noob, don’t expect me to know what that is called) and the lower leaves starting growing yellow and fell off because they have done their job. This was all normal. 2 days ago, they were turning a bit yellow. Today, they are extremely yellow and are losing some leaves. They are a bit wrinkly looking. The soil and water amounts are good, and the drainage system is fine, too. I think they are not getting enough sunlight. Can I do anything possible to give them more sunlight? It was supposed to be a nice spring because of global warming, but that’s conpletely the opposite, I got to do something! Is their some way I can save these 8 flowers (two in each pot) because I’ll feel dead guilty if they die. I’m doing it for a school project, and I’m getting more attached to these beauties. I’ll probably get a bad grade if they die, but I don’t care about that. I mostly care that these don’t die. If they do die, itll be all my fault and I’ll never forgive myself. Please answer ASAP! What can I do to help? Is it possible to help?! If you need them, I will post the pictures of the before sunflowers and the after sunflowers (they are still seedlings). Thanks so much, please help!

There are probably 50 things that could be wrong. It sounds like they are outside; could they have gotten frost bit? You have 2 per pot - unless it is a 5 gallon pot you are going to have crowding. Sunflowers are heavy feeders, they have to be to produce a stalk that tall and a flower that big. Like Chuck said, please post pictures. This will help us help you. Also post your hardiness zone.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
Pictures would be good. However, you say that you think they're not getting enough sun...How much is "enough"?

Sunflowers do need tons of sun, even here in Florida where we have a powerful sun. Where are you located?

There's also a possibility that you are over-watering your plants, it's a very common problem.

Ask a Question