Indoor Pomegranate leaves yellowing

Reaction score
Country
Denmark
Hello everone,
I have been growing this Pomegranate tree indoors for about 10 months. A few of the leaves have started suddenly turning yellow, and I can't figure out what the cause is. These leaves (see pictures) turned yellow over the past couple of days.
The growing medium drains well, and the pot has a drainage hole, so I am not suspecting over-watering to be an issue.
However, it hasn't been very sunny at my place for the last few weeks, and temperatures outside (and probably inside a bit) have gone down. Could this be the cause? Furthermore, I haven't been fertilizing lately.
The plant is placed in a small south facing window, and has been growing well all summer with no issues.
Another thought is that is could be in need of a repot. However, only a tiny root is sticking out from the bottom of the pot.

Any help would be much appreciated.
Thanks in advance.

Attachments

• IMG_3633.JPG
    IMG_3633.JPG
    87.1 KB · Views: 321
  • IMG_3634.JPG
    IMG_3634.JPG
    109.6 KB · Views: 405
  • IMG_3636.JPG
    IMG_3636.JPG
    102.4 KB · Views: 319
  • IMG_3635.JPG
    IMG_3635.JPG
    53.3 KB · Views: 266
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Hello everone,
I have been growing this Pomegranate tree indoors for about 10 months. A few of the leaves have started suddenly turning yellow, and I can't figure out what the cause is. These leaves (see pictures) turned yellow over the past couple of days.
The growing medium drains well, and the pot has a drainage hole, so I am not suspecting over-watering to be an issue.
However, it hasn't been very sunny at my place for the last few weeks, and temperatures outside (and probably inside a bit) have gone down. Could this be the cause? Furthermore, I haven't been fertilizing lately.
The plant is placed in a small south facing window, and has been growing well all summer with no issues.
Another thought is that is could be in need of a repot. However, only a tiny root is sticking out from the bottom of the pot.

Any help would be much appreciated.
Thanks in advance.
That container is WAAAAY to small for that size of plant. The yellowing is probably chlorosis due to a lack of nitrogen. Even if you have been feeding the plant, being root bound will minimize nutrient uptake. Another problem is that the plant is extremely leggy, meaning it is reaching for more light.

Reaction score
Country
Denmark
That container is WAAAAY to small for that size of plant. The yellowing is probably chlorosis due to a lack of nitrogen. Even if you have been feeding the plant, being root bound will minimize nutrient uptake. Another problem is that the plant is extremely leggy, meaning it is reaching for more light.

Thanks for the reply Chuck!
Unfortunately, the amount of light I cannot do much about without installing grow lights, which I am not interested in. Nevertheless, you are probably correct about the container size, so I would like to repot it.
Would it make sense to repot it now as the amount of sun is decreasing and its growth will slow down, or will this potentially put more stress on the plant?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Thanks for the reply Chuck!
Unfortunately, the amount of light I cannot do much about without installing grow lights, which I am not interested in. Nevertheless, you are probably correct about the container size, so I would like to repot it.
Would it make sense to repot it now as the amount of sun is decreasing and its growth will slow down, or will this potentially put more stress on the plant?
Pomegranates are a deciduous plant and will loose their leaves this fall and winter but the fall and winter are critical for root health. Putting the plant into more and better soil now will allow the roots to maintain and improve their health over the winter. By all means do it now and give the plant a good feeding too.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
I forgot to mention about the fertilizer. Normally you don't fertilize a pomegranate until it is at least a year old but being in that small container I would bet that all of the nutrients have leached out of the soil. Fertilize with a good organic fertilizer. I don't know what if any organic fertilizers you have in Denmark so if you must use a synthetic/oil based fertilizer use one that has a LOW NPK and use it at 1/2 strength.

Reaction score
Country
Denmark
Thanks, I will definitely do the repot as soon as possible. Regarding the size of the pot, the pomegranate is now in a 15 cm pot. Would a 20 cm pot suffice, or would larger be better?
Will indoor pomegranates also lose all their leaves?

Thank you so much for helping. I really appreciate it.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Thanks, I will definitely do the repot as soon as possible. Regarding the size of the pot, the pomegranate is now in a 15 cm pot. Would a 20 cm pot suffice, or would larger be better?
Will indoor pomegranates also lose all their leaves?

Thank you so much for helping. I really appreciate it.
I wouldn't get a pot any smaller than a 24 cm. You want as large a root system as is possible, so therefore as large a container as possible. All deciduous trees have what is called an annual leaf drop. Being inside I can't tell you for sure when they will drop, but drop they will.

Ask a Question