Dracaena Marginata - yellowing leaves

Reaction score
Country
United States
I've had this Draecena Marginata for a few weeks and it may be showing some signs of trouble. About 6 or 7 leaves have turned yellow and fallen off. I don't think it's getting too much water, but I've read that they are very sensitive to flouride so going forward I'll be careful to let the water sit out for a few days before watering. It sits between our living and dining rooms, so it has large windows about 15 - 20 feet from it on both sides (north and south). Full disclosure, I'm also wondering if our cats may be tugging at the leaves... they definitely enjoy batting at them from time to time. Can anyone offer insight?

20170524_093611_1495636716277.jpg
20170524_093636_1495636716040.jpg

Reaction score
Yes,stop watering,it is sitting in water now,from that picture.

Really let it dry put between waterings, doesn't need it once a week,once a month,needs it when it needs it.

Yellowing leaves is the usual symptom.

Reaction score
Country
United States
Yes,stop watering,it is sitting in water now,from that picture.

Really let it dry put between waterings, doesn't need it once a week,once a month,needs it when it needs it.

Yellowing leaves is the usual symptom.

Thanks for your reply, Plantdoctor. Are you saying that it's sitting in water because of the way the leaves are yellowing? The pot itself is dry. Just want to make sure I'm on the same page.

Reaction score
It looks,but might be wrong,that there is water in the saucer under the pot?

Anyway,the diagnosis is still,the same, a watering issue .

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
4a
Country
Canada
How old are they? They may need a bigger pot. I just repotted one smaller than those into a pot of about the same size. If the issue persists after you cut back the water, its something to consider.
Also, I live in a town that adds fluoride to its water, and thats all the plants been getting for nearly 2 years, now. If you're worried about that, bottled water is fine.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello Lando, I don`t think there`s any need to panic here. This is a pretty tough plant. As you have only had it for a short time it might be having a bit of a sulk because it`s been moved. The Dracaena likes plenty of light, but not direct sunlight - nor cold draughts (a bit like me) When you water it give it a jolly good soaking, and then let it drain off well and let it dry out again.
Sometimes when people are worried about giving too much water they don`t give enough - with this one, it needs to get very dry again before it gets it`s next soaking. It quite likes tepid water rather than icy cold :rolleyes: ....and is probably a bit cheesed off with the cats :cautious:
Let us know how it is in a couple of weeks ok......:)

Ask a Question