Slow yellowing of true leaves, but only one at a time.

D

DrakeH

Bad News.. maybe?

I have been growing vegetables and flowers from seeds indoors as a bit of an experiment. When introduced to the soil, leaves turn deep green but start to yellow after about a week or so. This happens on older leaves and not new ones. I use clear plastic containers and replant into a larger pot when a few roots start hitting the side, so I don't think issue is space.

Is this normal? I have no clue what to expect..

Attached is a photo of two Mini Harvest Pumpkins that have been growing for around 2 weeks now. One the oldest true leaf is yellowing, the other is not. The soil and watering schedule are the same for both.

The lights in use are two 130W (26W actual) fluorescent plant bulbs that are suspended 12 inches above the tops of the leaves. It does not happen to herbs such as parsley or basil, but does happen to radishes and peppers.

Thanks in advance for your advice!

Attachments

• IMG_20180828_225749820.jpg
    IMG_20180828_225749820.jpg
    109.4 KB · Views: 287
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Bad News.. maybe?

I have been growing vegetables and flowers from seeds indoors as a bit of an experiment. When introduced to the soil, leaves turn deep green but start to yellow after about a week or so. This happens on older leaves and not new ones. I use clear plastic containers and replant into a larger pot when a few roots start hitting the side, so I don't think issue is space.

Is this normal? I have no clue what to expect..

Attached is a photo of two Mini Harvest Pumpkins that have been growing for around 2 weeks now. One the oldest true leaf is yellowing, the other is not. The soil and watering schedule are the same for both.

The lights in use are two 130W (26W actual) fluorescent plant bulbs that are suspended 12 inches above the tops of the leaves. It does not happen to herbs such as parsley or basil, but does happen to radishes and peppers.

Thanks in advance for your advice!
What are you feeding with?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United States
I like the clear pot idea and could see it set inside a decorative pot where lifting it out allows you to check for root binding. Neat idea!

Ask a Question