Begonia is slowly declining

Reaction score
Country
Australia
Hello,

My Begonia is slowly declining. I have sought advice from my local nursery but it hasn't improved. I love it so much and would hate to have it die. I've had the plant about 5 months.

Symptoms:
Leaves turn crispy and orange brown, then fall off.
Smaller leaves, new growth, seems to suffer first.
Larger leaves go discoloured, then limp, then fall off.
No discolouration, softness or anything else at the base of the plant.
Sometimes the leaf stem, at the middle point will wilt.
It's about 1 leaf a week/fortnight.
I suspect this was already happening when I bought it, as there were missing leaves.

The nursery suggested that I wasn't watering the plant enough, and that the leaves were drying out. I increased my watering to keep the plant slightly damp all the time and moved it to a brighter spot (no direct sun). The original seller told me to not water it more than 1/2 a cup a week at most.

What could this be?
The last photo it the spot the plant used to be in, I moved it closer to a window.

Thank you for your help!

Attachments

• image1.jpeg
    image1.jpeg
    53.7 KB · Views: 512
  • image2.jpeg
    image2.jpeg
    78.4 KB · Views: 496
  • image3.jpeg
    image3.jpeg
    44.8 KB · Views: 475
  • image4.jpeg
    image4.jpeg
    54.3 KB · Views: 846
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
4b
Country
Canada
When I plant my begonia tubers in pots I make sure the top of the tuber isn't covered with soil. I also let the top of the soil get dry before I water. The pot your begonia is in might be too small. I would repot into the next size up. When I do water, I make sure the water drains out the bottom and never let the pot sit in a tray with water in it.

alp

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United Kingdom
It might be a good idea not to over the plant from the top. The tubers are concave and if watered right from the top, water might sit on the tuber and damage new growth. Johnny is right. Your pot does look too small. Also, take cuttings whilst you can. Begonia is supposed to be easy to take cuttings. Do some research and take cuttings if you can. Just a bit of leaf can root! Have a look at youtube.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6 b
Country
Russian Federation
Specifically, this begonia does not have a tuber. It is a species with decorative leaves and a rhizome.
The roots of this begonia grow more in the sides, not into the depths. Therefore, the pot is better to take a wide, but to the bottom add drainage. Decorative-leaved begonias need regular r watering. The soil should be constantly slightly moist, but not much wet - the deciduous begonias do not like excessive dampness. Excess water should flow freely out of the drainage holes. The optimum temperature is 18-22 ° C. These are shade-loving plants, for them the eastern or south-western windows are perfect.

I guess the problem was in excessive watering. As said @johnny canoe and @alp the pot should be a little bigger and wider ..

I would take some of the rhizome (or leaves) to grow a new healthy plant.

Reaction score
Country
Australia
I guess the problem was in excessive watering. As said @johnny canoe and @alp the pot should be a little bigger and wider ..

I would take some of the rhizome (or leaves) to grow a new healthy plant.

Thanks Larisa,

I will find a wide, not too deep pot, larger than the one I have and ensure good drainage. Initially I wasn't watering very much, keeping it only slightly damp, but this is when the issues started so I don't think it's too much water.

I will also take some leaves and try to grow a healthy new plant as everyone has suggested.

I appreciate the advice :)

Ask a Question