Replanting seedlings

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7b
Country
United States
I have a mixed flat--mostly tomatoes, but also Brussels sprouts and ground cherries. They're in 2x2 soil-filled cells.

I'm thinking about transplanting them into larger individual pots, mainly so that the leaves don't crowd each other out, especially the shorter plants (esp. the ground cherries).

Good idea, or would disturbing them create more problems?

seedlings.JPG

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United Kingdom
I have a mixed flat--mostly tomatoes, but also Brussels sprouts and ground cherries. They're in 2x2 soil-filled cells.

I'm thinking about transplanting them into larger individual pots, mainly so that the leaves don't crowd each other out, especially the shorter plants (esp. the ground cherries).

Good idea, or would disturbing them create more problems?

View attachment 33725

The idea behind cell sowing is to enable the plant to be removed and potted on with the MINIMUM of root disturbance.
If I can talk you through the re-planting as you call it.

Choose the cells you are going to pot-on. I'd select the tomatos first. I'd get a 2x2 pot fill it with compost and use this as a template. Next select the next size pot you intend to use. Possibly that would be a 9cm pot. Put som compost in the new pot, stand the filled 2x2pot inside, keeping the top soil level equal at all times. Now fill in around the 2x2 pot, firm and renove the 2x2 pot. This method applies to most potting on.

Having moistened your cell plant, a gentle tug on the plant and perhaps a poke from below, and you plant should pull free. Now drop it into th hole of the awaiting pot, firm down, job done.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United States
So...are they going to end up in the ground or just in bigger pots? If bigger pots- I would say the time was good for going ahead and putting them in those pots. It is going to be May before the ground gets warm enough for tomato in most of Long Island. I would use potting soil, which has the compost Mike mentioned, and usually a bit of fertilizer already in it ready to go. The roots will generally do better in a pot if you do not use garden soil.

alp

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United Kingdom
Also a good idea to pinch off the top two leaves of the tomatoes. This will help the plant to bush out and have more flowers and fruit. Your seedlings look very good and healthy, @Scott_R !

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7b
Country
United States
Thanks for the replies and information.

My plants will all go into the ground. I have way too many tomato seedlings so I'll be giving quite a few away--I don't know what those people will be doing with them.

Mike--why 9 cm pots? That's about 3.5", not much bigger than what they're in now, and the presumably they'll outgrow them by the time the tomatoes are ready to go in the ground. Is it better to do several replantings than go for the bigger pot to start?

alp

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United Kingdom
Thanks for the replies and information.

My plants will all go into the ground. I have way too many tomato seedlings so I'll be giving quite a few away--I don't know what those people will be doing with them.

Mike--why 9 cm pots? That's about 3.5", not much bigger than what they're in now, and the presumably they'll outgrow them by the time the tomatoes are ready to go in the ground. Is it better to do several replantings than go for the bigger pot to start?

Make sure you know what the weather is going to be like before you plant them in the ground. A cold snap can put paid to very tender new plants. Also, guard against slugs and all that!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United States
You need grow lights and big pots. Use the living room. Grow with it. Your friends will freak out. The plants are such aggressive growers that they will actually be close to fruiting by then.

alp

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United Kingdom
I have 4 tomato greenhouse as i couldn't argue with £1 each. Now they are handy for the Beast from the East on April Fool's Day! Sad!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7b
Country
United States
You need grow lights and big pots. Use the living room. Grow with it. Your friends will freak out. The plants are such aggressive growers that they will actually be close to fruiting by then.

I currently have them under grow lights; I'm waiting on replanting until I get another grow light I ordered (should be in today) so I can keep the Brussels sprouts and ground cherries under the current setup and put the tomatoes under another one.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
I put tomatoes in my kitchen and just take over entire counters. My wife loves it. I give each one a big pot and transplant once.
7A944EDC-D55B-4A33-BFBE-03F7A3908791.jpeg

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7b
Country
United States
I thought I'd transplant twice. I'm using smaller (4" d) pots to start, and they're in my basement under a 4-light florescent fixture, inside a homemade lightbox--4" because even with that size I couldn't fit all of them in under the light. I'm thinking maybe in a month or so I'll transplant to the final pots (before they go outside) and they'll go into a living-/sunroom until I can start acclimating them.

IMG_4135.JPG

Ask a Question