Crepe myrtle "Tonto" seedlings

Reaction score
Country
Canada
Hello. I am looking to acquire seedlings or cuttings of the Crepe Myrtle variety "Tonto" from a Canadian source. It is my understanding that this variety is winter hardy in the north. I live in Canada (Mississauga, Ontario) and unfortunately I have not been able to find a local source to purchase this tree/shrub. Also, U.S. nurseries are not shipping to Canada. Therefore I am appealing to anyone in Canada who may be growing this variety to get in touch with me. Thank you.

Reaction score
Country
United States
Greetings, welcome to the Forums.

If you truly want the cerise-flowered variety, Tonto Crepe-myrtle (Lagerstroemia x 'Tonto') you will need to get cuttings, not seedlings.
Though who knows? you might get novel and worthwhile plants from seedlings as well.

Many Crepe-myrtle cultivars, including Lagerstroemia x 'Tonto', are often listed as Lagerstroemia indica, but they are actually hybrids between the widespread L. indica and L. subcostata var. fauriei (or L. fauriei), which is a more cold-hardy and powdery mildew-resistant species native to certain islands in Japan. Lagerstroemia subcostata var. fauriei also has smoother, more ornamental bark and often passes this trait onto its progeny as well.

Last edited:

Ask a Question