Seedlings

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
USDA Zone 11
Country
Mexico
"small reservoir for water"
Okay, so you add water when needed between the coffee filter and the cup? so the water seeps into the soil through the coffee filter? are the holes above the level of the coffee filter or below? or you add water directly to the soil contained in the cup and the excess seeps through the coffee filter to end up on the bottom? And there is not a problem with roots escaping through the holes on the side (just one side i guess and one set of holes?)?

Okay, it looks like the holes are covered by the coffee filter. So the seeping would be from the soil through the coffee filter and out the holes?

And germinating do you not put the wet paper towel in a plastic bag or container?

Last edited:
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
USDA Zone 11
Country
Mexico
@vette-kid yes i see that you started with expandable peat pellets. One of the pellets in the lower right corner looks like it still has the netting on it. Did you remember to take off the netting from the peat pellets before you transferred them to the soil in the peat pots?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
@vette-kid yes i see that you started with expandable peat pellets. One of the pellets in the lower right corner looks like it still has the netting on it. Did you remember to take off the netting from the peat pellets before you transferred them to the soil in the peat pots?
...hmm. ..uh...well, not exactly. Didn't even think about that actually. I kind of figured it would decompose on its own. Will it hurt the growth of the plant by not letting the roots through?

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
Zone 5
Country
Canada
Peat pellets don't decompose well particularly the netting. I don't use them anymore.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
USDA Zone 11
Country
Mexico
:LOL:no i am not laughing at you i am laughing with you, having made similar errors in the past. Mistakes are really the best way to learn something that you never forget...trust me i know:oops: Yes, the netting is to be removed when the peat pellet seedling is transplanted and yes it will inhibit the growth of the plant. So let's try to save the seedlings that are not toast. It should be easy to remove them from the netting without damage and replace them back in the peat pot or if you have an alternative place to plant them you can use that. Try to keep the soil level, that is, the peat pellet shouldn't extend above the soil level in the new container. I think you can save the ones that survived. Probably better to place them back in the peat pots until you have an alternate method. Just remember they will need watching to make sure they don't dry out. When you are finished with the peat pots, i know it is an investment, but you can break them up and put them in your garden soil so it won't be a total loss(y). I actually use peat pellets from time to time, never ever peat pots.. I think you can use the peat pellets with success if you remember to remove the netting before transplanting them.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
Zone 5
Country
Canada
Okay, so you add water when needed between the coffee filter and the cup? so the water seeps into the soil through the coffee filter? are the holes above the level of the coffee filter or below? or you add water directly to the soil contained in the cup and the excess seeps through the coffee filter to end up on the bottom? And there is not a problem with roots escaping through the holes on the side (just one side i guess and one set of holes?)?

Okay, it looks like the holes are covered by the coffee filter. So the seeping would be from the soil through the coffee filter and out the holes?

And germinating do you not put the wet paper towel in a plastic bag or container?

Sometimes in a plastic bag or on a saucer with the seeds just covered with a damp tissue. I usually place in a large plastic container with a loose fitting lid. The seeds must be damp only. It is an ideal method to test seed for germination,

Most moisture movement is by osmosis. The coffee filters just keep dirt from falling out the holes when moving the pots around. Water goes through the filter as if it is not there. I seldom water from the top. There are four holes around the cup more if you want. I water by setting in larger container and allowing the water to seep up as high as desired, then remove and drain.

http://durgan.org/2016/April 2016/24 April 2016 Seedlings/HTML 24 April 2016 Seedlings
A variety of seeding are purchased when small from local suppliers and replanted in separate containers to obtain a robust root system before planting in the outdoor garden. The plants will be placed outdoors daily weather permitting to condition to outdoor conditions until planting time in about 10 days. Requirement is for about 8 of each type for my needs. The type purchased were 8 of each, broccoli, Brussel’s sprouts, celery, collards, kale, Romaine lettuce. They were placed in a plastic cup with bottom side drain holes, a coffee filter to cover the holes to prevent soil falling out. The plants are placed in a reservoir container for bottom watering. They will be ready to transplant in the outdoor garden in 10 to 14 days, weather permitting.
dsc_938124%20april%202016%20seedlings_std.jpg

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
USDA Zone 11
Country
Mexico
Thank you for your patience @Durgan for some reason i was having a hard time visualizing your method but i understand it now. I didn't realize how freely water would move back and forth through the filter (this being a tea house much more than a coffee house :) I love to learn as many ways of doing things as i can, so i am happy i have finally learned this one.:)

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
Beverly, np. I don't embarrass easily:) I appreciate folks like you and Durgan taking time to help newbies like myself.

I think I can manage to remove the netting workout stressing the plants too much. I think next time I'll try durgan's method. I've got a few more I'd like to start anyway.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
Zone 5
Country
Canada
Actually the germination using the expandable peat pellets is very good. I think I had 100% germination when using. The nylon netting lasts forever sort of defeating the purpose of using. That netting is also difficult to remove. I don' t use them anymore.

I played around making some but could not get a suitable mesh that was easy to remove so gave up. It would be nice to drop seed in the center of a plug, water, and have germination.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
Actually the germination using the expandable peat pellets is very good. I think I had 100% germination when using. The nylon netting lasts forever sort of defeating the purpose of using. That netting is also difficult to remove. I don' t use them anymore.

I played around making some but could not get a suitable mesh that was easy to remove so gave up. It would be nice to drop seed in the center of a plug, water, and have germination.
Germination was near 100%for me. I expected much less.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
USDA Zone 11
Country
Mexico
Beverly, np. I don't embarrass easily:) I appreciate folks like you and Durgan taking time to help newbies like myself.
There is no reason to feel embarrassed, believe me we have all been through the same thing. I am still learning, i make mistakes all the time...we all do no matter how much experience we have. It is a part of being a gardener and after a while it just becomes funny. This is why we join with other gardeners on forums, to share experiences and ideas and information.

About the peat pellets, they do provide excellent germination results, and i use them sparingly for especially difficult seeds. Vegetables, for example, don't need a peat pellet to germinate. Annual flowers don't need peat pellets to germinate. Wild, perennial seed can be very difficult and unpredictable and this is when i use the pellets. I find the small netting to be easily removed and i throw them in the trash. The pellet does not fall apart when the net is removed. It keeps it's shape and simplifies transplanting because the roots are not disturbed. I think you will have great success...just look at what you know now that you didn't know the other day and that you wouldn't know unless you made a few mistakes.:)

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
So the total damage was 13 plants. 7 Coleus, 2 Pansy, 1 Tomato, 1 Cherry Tomato, 1 Cilantro and believe it or not, 1 Morning Glory. I went ahead and "de-netted" them this morning. Most came off pretty easily without disturbing the plant too much. Some of them were growing through really well, but the roots were so thin the net slipped off without breaking any (or minimal anyway). The morning glory, however, seems to not be impacted in the least. In fact, I attempted to remove one from the Jiffy pot to de-net it and found that it was already firmly rooted to the pot. So I left the rest of those alone. Seems those are touted as pretty hardy and folks have a hard time getting rid of them (and I manage to kill one trying to grow it!). All in all not too bad since I WAY over planted anyway. I did not expect so many to last this long. The two plants I am most excited about seem to have been unharmed, Cantaloupe and some burgundy/white Coleus.

Im going to look around for another grow light to increase my light output inside. I think my light is a bit inadequate right now, some of the plants tend to lean toward it, so I rotate the tray and had been trying to give them some outside time to make sure they get enough light. Adding another light will allow me to even the light out and take my time acclimating them to full sun.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
USDA Zone 11
Country
Mexico
Yep, i guess it could have been a lot worse. I am really surprised to hear you need grow lights in NW Florida. Don't you have enough light and warmth year round to grow them outside? That would give you an advantage of having good air circulation. Does it freeze where you are?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
Yep, i guess it could have been a lot worse. I am really surprised to hear you need grow lights in NW Florida. Don't you have enough light and warmth year round to grow them outside? That would give you an advantage of having good air circulation. Does it freeze where you are?

No freezing, not really anyway. These were just seedlings and I don't have a good spot near a window for them. Outside would be a challenge to get a spot without too much sun (and not have the exact problem that started this thread) or get washed away by thunderstorms with heavy downpour (like we are having now!). Easier to stick them under a growlight, occasionally take them out on a nice day, until they are ready to transplant in the yard. Unless Im missing something.

Ask a Question