Rainbow Colored Vegetables

Reaction score
I realized that I had totally forgotten to add one of my favorites - so here they are -

Rainbow peppers, which I can assure are truly delicious as I've been growing them for over five years.

rainbow-peppers.jpg

Rainbow-Salsa3.jpg

Again - if you wish to grow them the seeds are widely available everywhere.

Reaction score
If you like carrots, you'll be pleased to know, that there are also Rainbow Colored Carrots

View attachment 1240

for the carrot lovers :D

View attachment 1241

Think these would look really good, grated raw in salads as well as cooked, don't you? :)

The rainbow carrots are beautiful. The rainbow carrots and rainbow beets would make some stunning root vegetable chips or fries.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
Poland
The rainbow peppers look so good! I've already seen(and eaten) red, yellow and green ones, but it's the first time when I see purple peppers:) It's one of my favorite colors, so I'd love to try them, I'm sure they're delicious:)

Reaction score
The rainbow peppers look so good! I've already seen(and eaten) red, yellow and green ones, but it's the first time when I see purple peppers:) It's one of my favorite colors, so I'd love to try them, I'm sure they're delicious:)

Oh they're really, really tasty - I actually prefer them because they have a slightly sweeter but much stronger flavor than regular peppers, and although the peppers I grow are called rainbow peppers, I often have pale lilac and chocolate colored ones as well - so I do hope you get to try some because I'm sure you'd find them seriously delicious :)

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
Poland
So they not only look pretty, they also taste yummy:D A stronger and sweeter flavor sounds really good! Unfortunately, I haven't seen any purple peppers at stores here. I guess I could try to grow them, but as far as I know, peppers grow better in warmer temperatures:( Its a little too cold for them here.

Reaction score
Yes that's the one, those are beautiful! I am familiar with the cauliflower, I'd be interested in seeing it in broccoli form. It does have a wonderful taste to it too, lighter and sweeter. Thanks for the beautiful photos.

Reaction score
Yes that's the one, those are beautiful! I am familiar with the cauliflower, I'd be interested in seeing it in broccoli form. It does have a wonderful taste to it too, lighter and sweeter. Thanks for the beautiful photos.

You're welcome and I would agree with you that romanesque cauliflower does taste a great deal nicer than the regular ones. I first came across it while living in Italy which is where it originates from and could hardly miss it, especially as it is a very popular ingredient in Italian cooking but haven't often seen it for sale since then, but think that is about to change in the very near future, as I have recently heard that there are plans to make it more widely available,
Sorry to disappoint but romanesque cauliflower and romanesque broccoli are one and the same thing - its just that some places know it either as a cauliflower or as broccoli, like for instance - in the Mediterranean cauliflower is known as broccoli.:D

Reaction score
I was not aware they were the same, thanks for letting me know! I worked on an organic farm and they grew some that were the size of basketballs!

Reaction score
This is probably going to be the last addition to this thread as I think we have by now covered just about every vegetable that could be grown in the rainbow range so for all of those who like radishes here they are

Rainbow Radishes

Rainbow radishes.jpg

Rainbow radishes 1.jpg

They are said to have a slightly stronger spicier flavor than the regular variety and as with all the rainbow vegetables featured in this thread - the seeds are widely available online and good garden stores :)

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
Poland
Wow! I think that Rainbow Radishes are the best of all vegetables that can be grown in the rainbow range:D. They're so pretty! They look like big beads. Or like round lollipops:D
Now, I'm hungry. I really love eating radishes! Somehow, I forgot how delicious they are.

Reaction score
Thanks for sharing this information. I've never heard of rainbow colored vegetables. They look gorgeous. Of course, vegetables already come in many different colors. The rainbow colors just add to the vegetables' visual appeal.

Reaction score
I love all the colorful varieties. They're a great way to get kids involved in growing and eating their veggies! My kids love flipping through the Baker Creek catalog and picking out which unusual varieties we're going to try each year. Blue potatoes were a big hit. Purple cauliflower less so, simply because it fades to green when cooking.

Reaction score
I love colorful heirlooms. The only thing about them that upsets me, is that some of them turn green after they are cooked. But, they are great for conversation purposes. I grew a burgundy swiss chard once and I have not been able to find the seeds since. It was fully burgundy no green parts at all. Does anyone know what this species is called.

Reaction score
I love colored vegetables and think that these rainbow varieties, would not only look really attractive in the vegetable garden, but would also be a great way of making mundane meals a whole lot more interesting.

These unadulterated Rainbow Colored Vegetables are increasing in popularity, not just because of their novelty value, but because they add interest to any meal and really brighten up bland meals, and they are said to contain much higher levels of vitamins than the regular varieties :)

Some of you may, have already tried or even seen, some of these Rainbow Vegetables for sale in the Supermarkets, but now, they are available for the home gardener. Some of you may well be familiar with some of them, like for instance -

Rainbow Chard - which is really attractive and looks really good, both in the vegetable garden

View attachment 1226

and on a plate :D

View attachment 1227

or you might like to try some Rainbow Beetroot

View attachment 1228

which apart from their amazing color, are said to be much tastier than the regular ones - more versatile too, as the young or baby beets can be eaten raw, and are especially good when chopped and added to salads.

If you are looking for a show stopping vegetable, I think it would, definitely have to be these Rainbow Cauliflowers

View attachment 1230

Growing these cauliflowers, would definitely be a talking point and think they look pretty good, don't you? :) These cauliflowers are said to have a lot more flavor than the regular ones, and the orange one - apparently has a slightly nutty flavor - think they'd certainly make a cauliflower meal - a whole lot more interesting.:D

If you are interested in growing any of these delicious looking vegetables, you'll be pleased to know that the seeds, are currently quite widely available :)

I'm a big fan of the rainbow beets and they make a lovely addiction to our vegetable baskets we sell, but when it come to the chard it's best left in the ground and far, far away from my table. Only grew it last year and it look beautiful until you grab a mouthful. Horrible old stuff.

Ask a Question