Rainbow Colored Vegetables

Reaction score
I love colored vegetables and think that these rainbow varieties, would not only look really attractive in the vegetable garden, but would also be a great way of making mundane meals a whole lot more interesting.

These unadulterated Rainbow Colored Vegetables are increasing in popularity, not just because of their novelty value, but because they add interest to any meal and really brighten up bland meals, and they are said to contain much higher levels of vitamins than the regular varieties :)

Some of you may, have already tried or even seen, some of these Rainbow Vegetables for sale in the Supermarkets, but now, they are available for the home gardener. Some of you may well be familiar with some of them, like for instance -

Rainbow Chard - which is really attractive and looks really good, both in the vegetable garden

rainbow chard 3.jpg

and on a plate :D

rainbow chard chunks.jpg

or you might like to try some Rainbow Beetroot

rainbow beets.jpg

which apart from their amazing color, are said to be much tastier than the regular ones - more versatile too, as the young or baby beets can be eaten raw, and are especially good when chopped and added to salads.

If you are looking for a show stopping vegetable, I think it would, definitely have to be these Rainbow Cauliflowers

cauliflower_rainbow_horiz_Sm.jpg

Growing these cauliflowers, would definitely be a talking point and think they look pretty good, don't you? :) These cauliflowers are said to have a lot more flavor than the regular ones, and the orange one - apparently has a slightly nutty flavor - think they'd certainly make a cauliflower meal - a whole lot more interesting.:D

If you are interested in growing any of these delicious looking vegetables, you'll be pleased to know that the seeds, are currently quite widely available :)

zigs

Cactus Grower, Kent.
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
Got too much Rainbow Chard at the moment, Germination was very good, whole lot came up:D

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
Poland
Rainbow Chard looks more than amazing:D. When it's chopped, it reminds me of candies. I think that it's a great way to lure children to eat vegetables, haha:D I haven't grown any rainbow vegetables yet, to be honest it's the first time when I hear of them, but I definitely would like to have them in my garden. I must add that I'm always a little scared of eating things that don't look natural though. Are they really healthy?

zigs

Cactus Grower, Kent.
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
Chard is very good for young people, forget why though. Best discard the water its cooked in though, lots of oxalates in it.

Reaction score
Rainbow Chard looks more than amazing:D. When it's chopped, it reminds me of candies. I think that it's a great way to lure children to eat vegetables, haha:D I haven't grown any rainbow vegetables yet, to be honest it's the first time when I hear of them, but I definitely would like to have them in my garden. I must add that I'm always a little scared of eating things that don't look natural though. Are they really healthy?

No need to be scared, they may not look natural, but they are all unadulterated and totally natural :)

Think its only because we associate a familiar color with each of these vegetables, that they seem unnatural - like for instance - you will sometimes hear people describe a color as 'beetroot red' - but then think of how many times, you've heard someone describe a color as 'beetroot yellow' or 'cauliflower orange', :D not often I think or never in my case.

Unless you are someone who was brought up eating rainbow colored vegetables, 'beetroot yellow' and 'cauliflower orange' are not color descriptions that instantly spring to mind and roll off the tongue, in the same way as 'beetroot red' does :)

Apparently all these unusual but naturally colored fruits and vegetables, are much healthier for us, as they contain more vitamins than the regular ones that we know, with the only down sides being, that they may change the way in which we describe colors or be a bit more messy when cooking and preparing them - as Zigs once said ' preparing lunch resembled an explosion in a paint factory' :LOL:

Reaction score
Wow, gata! Please don't mind my ignorance... but are those colours 100% natural? I had never seen a purple cauliflower in my life! Is that natural or is there something they add to make it look that way? I'm just curious! Those veggies look really exotic!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
Poland
No need to be scared, they may not look natural, but they are all unadulterated and totally natural :)

Think its only because we associate a familiar color with each of these vegetables, that they seem unnatural - like for instance - you will sometimes hear people describe a color as 'beetroot red' - but then think of how many times, you've heard someone describe a color as 'beetroot yellow' or 'cauliflower orange', :D not often I think or never in my case.

Unless you are someone who was brought up eating rainbow colored vegetables, 'beetroot yellow' and 'cauliflower orange' are not color descriptions that instantly spring to mind and roll off the tongue, in the same way as 'beetroot red' does :)

Apparently all these unusual but naturally colored fruits and vegetables, are much healthier for us, as they contain more vitamins than the regular ones that we know, with the only down sides being, that they may change the way in which we describe colors or be a bit more messy when cooking and preparing them - as Zigs once said ' preparing lunch resembled an explosion in a paint factory' :LOL:
Thank you for your response. Now, I'm really tempted to start growing some of these vegetables. I'm sure that it will be a lot of fun:) Also, I think that I could invite my friends and cook a few rainbow vegetables for them without explaining anything. I'm sure that they would be very surprised:D;)

Reaction score
Wow, gata! Please don't mind my ignorance... but are those colours 100% natural? I had never seen a purple cauliflower in my life! Is that natural or is there something they add to make it look that way? I'm just curious! Those veggies look really exotic!

LOL - am not sure how many more ways I can say natural, :D but yes they are totally, utterly, completely, 100 percent, totally unadulterated naturally occurring colors in these vegetables, :) which without going into a full chemistry breakdown, is best described as, some plants have slightly higher levels of certain naturally occurring plant pigmentations than others, like blue potatoes for instance, which is what makes them this color naturally, and many of the colored vegetables that we are now seeing available, have been around for hundreds of years.

We are now starting to see more of these colored vegetables, for a few reasons, such as, they have a high novelty value, but mainly, because it has been found, that the naturally occurring plant pigmentation in the colored vegetables, has greater health benefits. :D

Reaction score
Those rainbow vegetables look very good. I may try growing some of those since I love vegetables. I wouldn't mind a little colorful variety in my vegetables.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United States
I love rainbow chard; I have some in a pot right now waiting to be transplanted. I got into eating it earlier this year when it came with the produce share from my local farmer's market. I was so excited recently when I spotted it on a rack out front Whole Foods on my way out of the store. I promptly picked one up and went right back in and bought it.

Tried golden beets for the first time recently as well, and purple potatoes.

Reaction score
I love rainbow chard; I have some in a pot right now waiting to be transplanted. I got into eating it earlier this year when it came with the produce share from my local farmer's market. I was so excited recently when I spotted it on a rack out front Whole Foods on my way out of the store. I promptly picked one up and went right back in and bought it.

Tried golden beets for the first time recently as well, and purple potatoes.

I bet you were, I would have had no hesitation either :D I'm also growing the Rainbow Chard for the first time as well, and am currently waiting for them to come up - hopefully I'll be as lucky as Zigs and have everyone of the seeds take.:)

Have to say, I'm also looking forward to the look of amazement on my neighbors faces when they see them, especially as it is a very popular food here and they only grow the green one. :D

Am also looking to forward to trying some of the other Rainbow vegetables, but from what I've read, will have to grow them myself in order to do that, as they are not widely available in Europe yet, but more so in The States - so you'll probably get the chance to try them, some of which you already have, long before me :)

Reaction score
LOL - am not sure how many more ways I can say natural, :D but yes they are totally, utterly, completely, 100 percent, totally unadulterated naturally occurring colors in these vegetables, :) which without going into a full chemistry breakdown, is best described as, some plants have slightly higher levels of certain naturally occurring plant pigmentations than others, like blue potatoes for instance, which is what makes them this color naturally, and many of the colored vegetables that we are now seeing available, have been around for hundreds of years.

We are now starting to see more of these colored vegetables, for a few reasons, such as, they have a high novelty value, but mainly, because it has been found, that the naturally occurring plant pigmentation in the colored vegetables, has greater health benefits. :D

Oh ok, to be honest this is the first time I see them in my life! I found it so hard to believe those vegetables, specially the purple cauliflower were 100% natural :D We don't have that here, and I definitely never saw this in Norway! I might see it in the Netherlands tho :LOL:

Reaction score
If you like carrots, you'll be pleased to know, that there are also Rainbow Colored Carrots

View attachment 1240

for the carrot lovers :D

View attachment 1241

Think these would look really good, grated raw in salads as well as cooked, don't you? :)

Those carrots look really good. I would not mind having those in a salad. I am not intimidated by the different colors. I would still eat them because they are natural and not manufactured.

Reaction score
Trellum

I know, and totally agree with you, its always very hard to believe, that something is 100% natural, when our minds are telling us that it really doesn't look right :D but the funny thing is, the first time I saw the cauliflowers, it wasn't the purple one, that I had a problem with - but the orange one.

Compared to The States, Europe appears to be a bit behind in terms of availability, but apparently some of the larger chains of supermarkets are now stocking Rainbow Colored Vegetables, so you may well see them in Holland :)

Ask a Question