Discolored rose buds

Zsa

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6B
Country
United States
My roses are just beginning to bloom and almost all of their new buds are black/brown on the outside. I haven't seen a single bug on either of them and their leaves are a bright healthy green. Any thoughts on the issue?? Not sure if this will help but they are not planted in the ground, they're in pots. Enclosing some photos for reference. Please help!
icon_sad.gif
They're too pretty to look like this!

Attachments

• IMG_2752.JPG
    IMG_2752.JPG
    158 KB · Views: 423
  • IMG_2755.JPG
    IMG_2755.JPG
    122.2 KB · Views: 441
Reaction score
Looks like water has collected on buds,not much you can do about it,chances are the rest will be fine

You could move the pots to a sunnier spot,might stop it.

Zsa

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6B
Country
United States
Thanks for the input. They are in the sunniest spot of my yard which gets full sun all day. It hasn't been sunny lately though so maybe that's part of the problem too.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
Don't know where you live, but we've had a really cloudy, rainy spring so far here. Can't do much about the weather unfortunately! Hopefully some sunny weather will allow your roses to bloom.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Country
United States
Sometimes the outer petals get discolored or damaged, but after the rose opens, it is still lovely. Here is a Nagadoches with damaged outer petals--I still like the looks of it.
Nacogdoches.jpg

Humidity and sun hitting a wet rose bud will cause damage to the outer petals.
There is also a condition called "balling" which causes the bud to turn brown. This happens to some varieties of roses in high humidity. Belinda's Dream is famous for balling, but when she doesn't, she is magnificent!

Ask a Question